Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 battery problem...or maybe not

I'm having a weird issue with my K-01. It had been working perfectly until one day when I went to snap a street pic and it locked up...(it sounded like the shutter opened, but didn't close...LCD went black...turned it off and on and it wouldn't come back). It looked for all the world like my battery was simply drained and I thought it was no big deal. Took it home, charged the battery, and the next pic I took...same thing. If my battery is fully charged, the camera will come on and let me do anything I want...except take a picture. The minute I take a pic, it locks up and I have to recharge the battery to get it to come alive again. I've since figured out that I can take as many pics as I want without a lens...but as soon as I put a lens on and try to use any mode on the camera, it locks up and won't respond until the battery is charged. It acts like there's a dead short somewhere in my lens connections, but that can't be because it works okay without a lens. Its only when a lens is attached and there's a connection between the lens info contact points that I have a problem. I've tried cleaning the contact points, but that didn't help. I haven't yet put a meter on the battery to see just how low it's being drained when the shutter fires with a lens attached, but I guess that's my next step. This feels like something really simple to correct, so I hate to send it in for repair. Any clues where to start?

07-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Are batteries drained? Is taking them out and, back in not enough? I had somehow similar problem with F 35-70 it might be some short in your lens. You can read my symptoms in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/266443-k-500-shutter...f-35-70-a.html
07-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Weird, I had a similar problem on my K-01 so I thought it was specific to my K-01 and its generic battery-- but after seeing the previous thread by @sewerynthegreat, I'm wondering if the Pentax F 35-70 had something to do with it. What lens are you using with your K-01 when this happens?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/247294-lcd-freaks-out-won...y-removed.html
07-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'd been using my 40mmXS that came with my K-01. Maybe I need to try a different lens and see what happens. I haven't put a meter on my battery before and after it happens to see what kind of drop I'm getting, but I need to do that. The first time it happened, I thought that maybe removing the battery and the replacing it would reset the camera, but it didn't. I actually have to put it back on the charger for a bit.