Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
LEXAR SDXC 64gb PROBLEM (FORMATTING)

When I format this card in my k3 it records pictures. When I put it in my
windows vista machine (service pack 2) to download the photos, windows
says the card isn't formatted. I format it in vista with ex-fat mode (64gb) and
it is seen by windows. I put it back in the k3 and the camera says it is not
formatted.

It seems to be caught in an infinite loop of failure.

I downloaded SD Formatter v4 because lexar says this is recommended rather than
using the windows OS to format the card. SD Formatter only sees the card as 32gb, not
64gb! After formatting this way the same thing happens as when
formatted by windows as described above.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggested solutions? If I can't get this resolved I'll be calling/emailing Lexar tomorrow.

Thanks!

07-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Banned

I use 64GB and 128GB SDXC cards in my cameras and have the camera (GH4, A7r, VG900 etc) format it and view on my Mac Pro with OS X 10.9.4 and PC with Windows 8.1 without problems. Vista SP2 should not have problems with exFAT.
07-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might take a look at the drivers for the card reader in the Vista machine and make sure the reader and driver will support the card. Some older card readers do not support modern cards even if the OS does.
07-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might take a look at the drivers for the card reader in the Vista machine and make sure the reader and driver will support the card. Some older card readers do not support modern cards even if the OS does.
Jatrax and others-- I think this may be the situation-- I checked my driver for the slot and it was 2006 with no available updates available. I dug up a sandisk micromate usb card adapter and plugged in the lexar 64gb sdxc card through that and all seems to be working correctly! And at full 64gb capacity too.

Time for a new computer-- not because of this only-- my dell inspiron 1720 is suffering severe onset dementia in many ways and this is just one additional malady to deal with.

thanks for the quick responses.

07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandpipe Quote
Jatrax and others-- I think this may be the situation-- I checked my driver for the slot and it was 2006 with no available updates available. I dug up a sandisk micromate usb card adapter and plugged in the lexar 64gb sdxc card through that and all seems to be working correctly! And at full 64gb capacity too.

Time for a new computer-- not because of this only-- my dell inspiron 1720 is suffering severe onset dementia in many ways and this is just one additional malady to deal with.

thanks for the quick responses.
You could use your camera as a card reader in the mean time. Or, buy a cheap aftermarket plug-in USB card reader.
07-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You could use your camera as a card reader in the mean time. Or, buy a cheap aftermarket plug-in USB card reader.
Yes, the sandisk usb card adapter I found in a drawer solved the problem and now I have the 64gb running at full functionality with the k3
07-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandpipe Quote
Yes, the sandisk usb card adapter I found in a drawer solved the problem and now I have the 64gb running at full functionality with the k3
Great! A cheap fix indeed!
07-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You should consider upgrading your Vista OS to Wind 7 (64-bit). If you're running 32-bit verson of Vista, then just by upgrading your OS to a 64-bit one, you'll double the speed when using programs designed for 64-bit OS like LIghtroom or Photoshop.

07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

I'm having the same problem with this card in a K200D. The card works ok in a more recent Canon, but even after formatting it in a WIN7 machine it still returns memory card error when I try to format it in the camera. I've also updated the Pentax software to v1.1
All I can think of is finding some one with a more up to date Pentax to format it for me and then put it in my camera.
Any other suggestions gratefully received
07-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gedparker Quote
I'm having the same problem with this card in a K200D. The card works ok in a more recent Canon, but even after formatting it in a WIN7 machine it still returns memory card error when I try to format it in the camera. I've also updated the Pentax software to v1.1
All I can think of is finding some one with a more up to date Pentax to format it for me and then put it in my camera.
Any other suggestions gratefully received
Not sure that card will work with the K200D, even with firmware update. I think it can only use SDHC cards. I'm not certain of that though, so maybe someone with that camera will chime in.