Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D won't keep memory card in

Have tried 3 different cards and none of them will stay in. They all lock up fine in my K-30.

Anything I can do to fix this problem, or do I now have a parts camera?? :/

07-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The little spring system and catch that holds the card may be jammed, but not actually broken. You could try to stick a card in slowly, and listen if you hear the little 'click'. It may be possible to 'un-jam' it, but possibly not.
07-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've messed with it a bit. It needs to come apart I think in order to fix it. Darn it.

I had a K100D a couple years ago and sold mine when I upgraded to the K-30. Still miss that old camera since it took fantastic pics. Anyway, I bought this one off Ebay (it also came with a 50-200mm Pentax lens) and was gonna give it to one of my co-workers. I bring my gear with me from time to time to work and he loves messing with it and seeing all the pics I take. I told him to "go get your own stuff and join the fun" but he said he doesn't really have the funds right now. I have literally taken TB's of pics of my kids growing up thru the years and feel it's one of the best things I've ever done. His kids are younger than mine and he really chomps at the bit wanting a decent camera (I was gonna give him my 28-300mm Tamron......jack of all trades lens I don't use anymore), he's a great guy, and I really want to do this for him. Also have a Maha charger, some good batteries, and a memory card to help him with.

Anyway, anybody know how to disassemble this thing in order to get at the catch or return spring thingy?
07-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download "older models service manuals" from here (Pentax hacks).
Downloads
Password is 8639.

07-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Download "older models service manuals" from here (Pentax hacks).
Downloads
Password is 8639.
Do I need to purchase the zip file opening gizmo? My trial thing expired years ago. :/
07-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

All Windows OSes since XP handle .zip natively. No need for Winzip or the like.
07-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the manual to download.......thank you. Man, these things r really complicated. :/

Thinking I might just dump it and try and find another one. Too bad, since everything else seems to work on it.
07-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I bought this one off Ebay (it also came with a 50-200mm Pentax lens) ...
Wouldn't this be returnable, if it was sold as used, fully functional?

Is this the auction?

07-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Wouldn't this be returnable, if it was sold as used, fully functional?

Is this the auction?
Yes, that is the auction. I paid $100 shipped.

The lens works very nice, as I tested it on my K-30, so it's not a total loss.

And it is advertised as a "parts camera" but you would think a person would want to come up with a memory card to try it, to try and get maximum dollars for their auction.

Oh well. I gambled and lost or at least didn't get what I was hoping for......a camera to give my friend. At least got a working lens to give him, but still need to find a body I guess.
07-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
And it is advertised as a "parts camera" but you would think a person would want to come up with a memory card to try it, to try and get maximum dollars for their auction.
It was listed as "Used", which means fully functional. eBay/PayPal uses the listed condition over the description in disputes.

Even though the seller put "SO ITS BEING SOLD AS IS FOR REPAIR OR PARTS" in the description, the seller listed it as Used and fully functional, not for parts or not working. It would be fully returnable and refundable through eBay/PayPal if you choose to.

My gut feeling is that the seller knew the camera was defective. The seller is in the business of estate sales, but doesn't have a SD card?
07-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
It was listed as "Used", which means fully functional. eBay/PayPal uses the listed condition over the description in disputes.

Even though the seller put "SO ITS BEING SOLD AS IS FOR REPAIR OR PARTS" in the description, the seller listed it as Used and fully functional, not for parts or not working. It would be fully returnable and refundable through eBay/PayPal if you choose to.

My gut feeling is that the seller knew the camera was defective. The seller is in the business of estate sales, but doesn't have a SD card?
I agree, it does seem a little fishy. I am on my "hunt and peck" cheapo phone and will have to get to work and on my laptop in order to try and piece it together. I might just send her an email, point out too her what you pointed out to me, and ask her to credit my account a couple bucks.

The lens isn't anything special. Certainly not in the same league as my "fast 50" or my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 lens, but the pics look nice thru my K-30. Lens has a green stripe on it and says made in Vietnam.....probably worth $50 bucks or so......idk.
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally noticed she had a 14 day money back guarantee. Sent her an email, told her I was returning it, and that was that. Cost me return shipping, but live and learn and I really should know better. :/

Anyway, gonna continue my search for a nice camera body to give my friend.
07-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Forum Member

Take a look at KEH, they should have something that you would like.

Rick