Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30
Lens compatibility

Just bought a used SMC M 50mm 1.7 lens to use with my *ist D camera, and it doesn't seem to work. Even on M setting, and with manual focus on, unable to shoot a picture and no metering function through the lens. Am I doing something wrong or is this lens incompatible with this digital SLR? Any help? Thanks.

07-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
Check the sticky on using manual lenses, and update the firmware. The original firmware did not support the use of the green button for metering and you need to set the use aperture ring function for tripping the shutter
07-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Mbc
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Check the sticky on using manual lenses, and update the firmware. The original firmware did not support the use of the green button for metering and you need to set the use aperture ring function for tripping the shutter
Thanks for your quick reply. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "checking the sticky" and how can I update the firmware. Thanks again
07-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbc Quote
Thanks for your quick reply. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "checking the sticky" and how can I update the firmware. Thanks again
Check the sticky. I mean here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

For the firmware version , there are two means look at any image from the camera and using an exif viewer (software that let's you look at data saved by the camera , the firmware version will be shown,

Or in camera hold the menu button when you turn the camera on, it will show the firmware version and ask if you want to update. Say no, then go to the pentax support site, download the latest firmware and follow the instructions to upload it

07-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Mbc
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Check the sticky. I mean here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

For the firmware version , there are two means look at any image from the camera and using an exif viewer (software that let's you look at data saved by the camera , the firmware version will be shown,

Or in camera hold the menu button when you turn the camera on, it will show the firmware version and ask if you want to update. Say no, then go to the pentax support site, download the latest firmware and follow the instructions to upload it
Thanks. Following your original recommendation, I've got the shutter to work, but not yet figured out how to have the camera choose the shutter speed. Will follow your advice.
07-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,135
All you have to do is press the green button while in M mode (on the K-30/K-50/K-500/K-01, you have to set the green button customization to Tv Shift). All the steps can be found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,260
Let's not forget this compatibility chart either:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
07-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Mbc
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
All you have to do is press the green button while in M mode (on the K-30/K-50/K-500/K-01, you have to set the green button customization to Tv Shift). All the steps can be found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
It worked! Thanks to all! Can't wait to try the lens in the daytime!

---------- Post added 07-23-14 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Let's not forget this compatibility chart either:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Thanks, your advice was helpful

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, chart, compatibility, lens, pentax help, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick K-1000 Lens Compatibility Question... Yael Pentax Film SLR Discussion 7 03-11-2014 09:45 PM
Lens compatibility on K-50 Bob Riggs Visitors' Center 7 02-24-2014 04:30 PM
Lens compatibility help! misslissa Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 07-22-2011 02:07 PM
Lens compatibility confusion pa79 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 03-11-2009 01:15 AM
Lens compatibility of K100D ardabalkan Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 06-22-2007 05:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top