Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickering LCD on start up

Not sure why this is happening or if its normal, but when I first start up my K-5 II the top LCD lights up and flickers wildly. So does the status screen in the back. After about 4 seconds or so, the flickering stops and the light on the top LCD turns 'OFF' unless I press the shutter. This does not happen all the time. If I turn off the camera then turn it right back on I get no flickering ?

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.
07-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know the K5II, but I'd check the manual to make sure that the camera isn't trying to warn you of something. My Mamiya will blink a yellow light if I have not pulled the dark slide from the film back and a red light if the battery is near the end of its life.
Check the troubleshooting section of your manual.
After reading the entire manual, if it doesn't mention anything about a blinking screen, then it's probably time to take it to a repair center.
07-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's not normal
07-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My mistake, after analyzing the problem I realized that this flickering only happened when the lens-cap was still on the lens when I turned 'ON' the camera. The camera then tried to get the real-time exposure, so the aperture and shutter count values on the top LCD and rear monitor went back and forth. Since the LCD light was set at its brightest output it seemed like the LCD was flickering on and off at a rapid speed. At least I think that was the problem ?