Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NuclearWinter Quote
So, here is the doubt. Given my skills I am convinced that a K30 or K50 are perfect machines for me, their features are far above my capabilities to exploit them. But...I am thinking also: when making an upgrade which is going to be a final one for at least 6-9 years, why do not invest (spend) more and get a bit higher end product like the K5ii? The point is that the K5 right now is "overengineered" for me, but given my goal to improve it can become a perfect fit within a short time.
But still I am confused. When I look at the machines performances, I am stunned by the K30/K50 at high ISO.
Please see below link to see what I mean:
Don't talk yourself down, once you get the hang of a Pentax, its pretty easy to use.

If you are looking at a 6-9 year product life, then go for the absolute top of the line K-3.

Every camera has features that you never use, but later on, you might be left wanting had you went for the lesser featured body. So don't feel intimidated by a higher level camera, because you hear its an "enthusiast" or "Pro-level" camera. They all have a shutter button and take pictures - its not rocket science.

I feel the 16 mega pixel sensor is nearing the end of its cycle, and the 24 mega pixel has been around since 2011, but probably has quite a few years up its sleeve. this mainly pertains to the pixel competition between Canon, where the Sony sensors have finally surpassed Canon.

Whats more important is the lenses you get later, these are the items that let you play with depth of field and utilize the sharpest f-stops or bokeh-est.

If you were looking at 2-4 years, the K-30 or 50 would be fine. But up to 9 years, I'm not so sure.

07-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks much everybody for the valuable comments. Actually I am thinking to follow Brian's advice: start the course with the 350D, getting more experienced and aware about what really counts/I want and then pull the trigger for something better. It's going to be a pentax (maybe a K5)...as I said this is the only thing I give for sure.
07-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #18

For me there is one huge advantage With the K5/3 over the 30/50, and that is the top LCD screen. It uses alot less power then the large rear LCD so you can keep that turned off most of the time.
08-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can say I use the top LCD screen all the time in the field, it's easy to set aperture and shutter speed based on conditions, plus you have all the status info right there. It's something I wouldn't give up, personally.