Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 EXIF always reporting Manual focus

So here it is, I never noticed before since I'm always bouncing back and forth between AF and MF and I rarely bother checking the EXIF in my pictures. Because of this it is hard to know when it started happening so I will assume that it has been this way since Day One. My K3 is running FW 1.03 since I got it.

Now the funny thing, the EXIF of every picture I took with the K3 reports "Manual Focus" regardless of the focussing mode, regardless of the shooting mode (M,Av,Tv,P) and regardless of the lens (tried with 7 different lenses, from 4 different makes).

And as a bonus, I rarely use the popup flash but I remember clearly trying it out but I cannot find any pictures in my library taken with the K3 that the EXIF reports that the flash was used?!

Just to make sure it wasn't just Aperture that read the EXIF wrong, I double checked with LR... Manual Focus, always...

It's no big deal since asides from the focus mode and "maybe" the flash mode, everything else is reported correctly.

Anyone else has this happens?

07-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have time to research my K-3 images right now, but are you sure that the maker notes for the K-3 include AF or AF mode? If so, I would lay my suspicions on Aperture.

Steve
07-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
but are you sure that the maker notes for the K-3 include AF or AF mode? If so, I would lay my suspicions on Aperture.
It probably is Aperture. I forgot to mention that I am shooting RAW, if I shoot JPG, the focus data doesn't get filled up in EXIF by the camera (shows blank in aperture).

It bugs me because in Aperture all my images from my Kr, K7, K5 do report the focus mode correctly.

Looking at the RAW data from the K3 DNG in photoshop also doesn't show anything relating to focus. My K5 is out on loan, the Kr is gone and the K7 is at work... so I cannot check to see if it does indeed report focus mode in the unaltered RAW file for my other cameras...
Attached Images

07-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Just to make sure it wasn't just Aperture that read the EXIF wrong, I double checked with LR... Manual Focus, always...
Well, the EXIF data from the K-3 is fine. It took me awhile to find images with AF enabled (I shoot 99% MF), but here is the pertinent data from both FW 1.03 and 1.10 using exiftool:

Make : RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera Model Name : PENTAX K-3
Software : PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.03
Focus Mode : AF-C (Focus-priority)
AF Point Selected : Center; 0
DSP Firmware Version : 1.03.23.13
Lens Type : smc PENTAX-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6
Manufacture Date : 2013:12:11
Production Code : 2.1

Make : RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera Model Name : PENTAX K-3
Software : PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.10
Focus Mode : AF-C (Focus-priority)
AF Point Selected : Center; 0
DSP Firmware Version : 1.10.26.15
Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Manufacture Date : 2013:12:11
Production Code : 2.1

07-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did some more homework and as long as the DNG don't get near Aperture, the EXIF is OK. If I import the DNG to Aperture, then export the original (in TIFF) the EXIF remains ok BUT if I export to JPEG... Magically it becomes Manual... But no matter what format, Aperture always reports Manual.

So it sure looks like an Aperture problem... Probably related to the difficulty Apple had to implement the K3 RAW file support.

Minor annoyance I guess, I can easily live with this but it makes you wonder what else they got wrong with reading the RAW file...