Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

K-3 exposure issues

Hello PF members-

I'm having an unusual problem with my otherwise fantastic K-3. It has been severely underexposing photos when in natural light. The shutter speed will automatically climb to 1/8000th and the aperture will go to the highest stop it can. The latest firmware (1.10) is on it and it seems to be shooting indoors perfectly fine. Is there anyone else who had experienced this? Any theories as to the cause? Even changing the metering won't help and on Manual it forces the EV to stop down as far as it can. Thanks for whatever help you can give!

-Romeo

07-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it doing this with all your lenses? (I.e. is it a lens specific problem?)
What does it do in good old "Green Mode"? (I.e. is it a settings problem?)
07-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you using spot metering? It is extreme and will act like that if you have a white spot large enough to fill the focus point in a darker background.
07-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Romeo Bravo Quote
Even changing the metering won't help and on Manual it forces the EV to stop down as far as it can.
??? On manual, you control the EV. I assume you are saying that the meter suggests minimum possible EV.

While you might gain some interesting information from a discussion here, I would suggest that you bring Pentax support into the loop. If your camera ALWAYS meters for severe underexposure, it is not something that can be solved on this forum. If it only does it in moderate to bright light (outdoors), it is still something that is beyond what can be addressed.

There are no settings or configuration options on the camera that would explain the behavior you describe.

Steve