Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Dust in camera

I have just looked at my photos on the laptop and all my photos have 2 specs of dust on them . I have changed the ienses and it is still there so it is obviously in the camera body. I am on holiday and it is spoiling all my photos. How can I get rid of them. There are no camera shops nearby so can't get someone to look at it for me.

07-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can you have a Rocket blower overnighted to you from Amazon?
07-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Shoot at the largest aperture you can and this will minimize them. If not then they are really huge specks of dust and you will need to blow them off. I forcefully squeeze air from a clean baby booger sucker to get dust off my sensor, it works good and is found in just about any store.
07-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

Ear cleaning bulb syringes will substitute as a blower. Available most any where you can buy personal hygiene items like cotton swaps, tooth brushes etc.

07-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So know the feeling all suggestions above are great ideas I have also found taking the lens off facing the camera body downwards and doing a shutter clean several times over can help somewhat but be aware that it can also loosen some more but eventually will shake the non sticky dust off. Some of the gang here also gave me post production suggestions where program's have a process in removing the specs without too much effort so if you can't get them out don't despair your photos aren't ruined just will need a little post production work.
Good luck
07-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is par for the course with all ILCs.
Eventually you will come to accept that and find your own way to deal with it.
For me, I put up with it and remove noticeable specks in post. When they become too bad, I use the blower.
07-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. I see from your profile that you have a K-30. Do you have the dust removal function turned on? (The camera will make a clunk noise on startup and or shutdown as the sensor gets a little shake.) If not, go into the menu, go to Setup Menu 3 and scroll down to Dust Removal. Press the right button in the four-way controller. Tick the boxes for startup action and shutdown action, then press the OK button. This doesn't work miracles but it might help.
2. If you see someone with a DSLR, ask whether they have any sensor cleaning gear with them that you could borrow. People are usually happy to help out. As the others have said, start with a blower before trying lens pens, silicon or gel pads. Wet cleaning is a last resort.
3. In the meantime shoot in RAW (or RAW + jpg). You might be able to remove dust spots from your photos in post-processing. (Even free software like the included Silkypix can do this, although there are better options.)

Good luck.

07-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I wouldn't try to blow the dust out unless you are indoors because wind could blow much junk in there than you had before. And just in case you aren't familiar with sensor cleaning you will have to have a fully charged battery and select sensor cleaning in the menus which holds the mirror up. Then you remove lens and with the mount pointed downward begin puffing air and dust will fall down and out (hopefully). And be careful not to touch anything inside the mirror box with the blower, and only poke it in there as far as you have to. But indeed try sensor shake first a few times and see if it will fling the dust off your sensor.
07-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you will try all the above. The apperture oe probably eplains why it is more noticeable on some than others. I have done a dust removal once but will ry a few more and will try to get some sort of blowe.
07-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Shoot at the largest aperture you can and this will minimize them. If not then they are really huge specks of dust and you will need to blow them off. I forcefully squeeze air from a clean baby booger sucker to get dust off my sensor, it works good and is found in just about any store.
Cool tip didn't think of that.