Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Flash 360fgz - disassembly ??

Does any body knows how to disarm the 360 FGZ ?? i think that something is stock in the zoom mechanism cuz when it try to go above 70mm at manual zoom it sounds like if the motor got stock.. i dont have a pentax dealer close to where i am so most of the fixes im the one that have to do it. ( besides i like to tear things appart haha ). I notice that there are 2 screws in the back of the head but even unscrewing them the head is not splitting in haft.. is there another hidden screw?? or after unscrewing it its just to pull the 2 half away ??

07-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a word of warning: the capacitors in flash units can carry a significant amount of energy in them that can be fatal. Disassembly of flash units is not for idle hands, or idle heads.
07-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #3

Digitalis is right, even the capacitors inside compact cameras go up to 300 V. But the caps in dedicated flashes are larger because they need more energy. So be careful. If you still want to do it: At all time not more than one hand (or other body part) on conductive material like metals. Find the capacitor inside and attach a Resistor between its contacts. The resistor should be large enough, that you dont get high currents. Check the label of the capacitor for its Voltage Rating. If its 300 V and you use an 5000 Ohm Resistor the current will start at 60 mA and fall from there. Discharging will take some time though. Give it a day to be sure and dont leave it unattended in the first hours. This is still risky and you should atleast not be alone until the cap is discharged.
07-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Or you can take out a life insurance policy in my name and just go for it!

07-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
Check the label of the capacitor for its Voltage Rating.
...and make sure you have your affairs in order if you intend on touching it.
07-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
hahaaha.. damn.. i better keep it just up to 70mm ..
07-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In the old days companies often made the service manuals available for consumer and pro electronic goods. So at least the owner trying to repair had a guide to the safety issues and dis-assembly etc.

Not so any more. Liability reasons prevail with things like flash capacitors inside, and also most parts in electronic items made after about 1980 are application specific and not diagnosable, obtainable, or replaceable.

I have been in medium/high voltage electronics all my career but I recently balked at trying to open a Pentax AF500FTZ. Shock hazard is one issue and I commend those that posted warnings.

But also there is a high probability there will be consequential damage from mis-steps during opening or re-assembly that will destroy the thing anyway.

Fortunately my AF500FTZ seems to have repaired itself, it has been working perfectly for over a month now. maybe it was just a switch contact from dis-use !