Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please forgive newbie dumb question

Metering. How do you meter with the K100D Super. Owners of the K10 talk about pressing the "green button". I don't have a green button. So sad. So, do I take a reading off whatever object I want to get a reading from, use AE-L to lock it in then focus on my subject? While this seems to work some of the time it doesn't always even come close to the correct exposure. Of course, that could be because I have chosen the wrong object to take a reading from. Am I missing a step in the process or am I on the right track and just need lots more practice?
Thanks, Susan

05-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi Susan

I too was tired of getting it wrong so i went and started practicing the zone system. It takes plenty of practice but offers you total control over the outcome. You can find a primer here.

A simplified zone system for making good exposures

Forgot to add the digital mantra: Meter for the midtones and check your highlights. Have fun

Peter
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
simple answer for metering on all pentax DSLRs.

while the green button wortks on K10D and *istD (and I suppose also K20D) you can meter with Manual apature lenses by operating DOF preview. (power switch) and this activates the meter with the lens stopped down.
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The green button on the K10D sets the Auto or Program exposure that the camera thinks the correct exposure is.

When you are in M mode, you can change the behavior of the AE-L button to be Program Line (Aperture and Shutter speed changes to the camera's preferred settings), Tv Shift (Aperture is locked and Shutter speed changes), or Av Shift (Shutter speed is locked and Aperture changes).

It would be a custom setting in the Menu (Menu button, three clicks to the right on the dial), under option: AR-L bttn on M expsr.

Listed on page 146 of the manual.

05-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
When you are in M mode, you can change the behavior of the AE-L button to be Program Line (Aperture and Shutter speed changes to the camera's preferred settings), Tv Shift (Aperture is locked and Shutter speed changes), or Av Shift (Shutter speed is locked and Aperture changes).

It would be a custom setting in the Menu (Menu button, three clicks to the right on the dial), under option: AR-L bttn on M expsr.

Listed on page 146 of the manual.
Thanks alohadave, I have been using the AE-L button in both manual and the other semi-manual modes.

Lowell, I really wish I understood what you are saying. Told you I was a newbie. I do know I don't have any manual lenses.

Spooked, I've just bookmarked the website you suggested and will check it out later today.

Thanks to all for your responses. I really do appreciate it. My goal is to take better photos than my husband with his point and shoot. So far he seems to be winning.
05-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Susan,

I have a K10D and find it does pretty well on P mode (I think that's the one I leave it on... it's the program mode that allows you to use the e-dials and exposure comp). I use the green button generally to reset the camera back to the cameras exposure recommendation after you've been tweaking it for whatever reason (eg. using an e-dial to force the aperture or shutter to a desired value)

If I'm endevouring to get 'well exposed' pictures, I use the histogram as my guide. Aiming to set the camera so the histogram approaches, but does not hit, the right hand side of the graph. I chimp that "info" display regularly.

Cheers, Nige
05-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Nige, sounds like I'm on the right track with my K100d Super. Since I don't have the green button, I have to lock in the suggested settings with AE-L and go from there.

Susan