Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #1

DxO Optics Pro 7 and lens correction settings

Hey, I just have a quick question about DxO Optics.

The program automaticly does lens correction (with the option of manual adjustment) but does it take into account the built in lens correction in Pentax cameras (I own a k30 with 18-55wr kit lens)?
Also, for the sake of possibly best outcomes, should I have the lens correction option turned on in the camera or off, if I will later edit them in DxO Optics.

07-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daniel0707 Quote
Hey, I just have a quick question about DxO Optics.

The program automaticly does lens correction (with the option of manual adjustment) but does it take into account the built in lens correction in Pentax cameras (I own a k30 with 18-55wr kit lens)?
Also, for the sake of possibly best outcomes, should I have the lens correction option turned on in the camera or off, if I will later edit them in DxO Optics.
Your k-30's software does only jpeg corrections. For raw corrections, use DXO.
07-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Your k-30's software does only jpeg corrections. For raw corrections, use DXO.
and for JPG shooting what would you believe is better, to have in camera lens correction on or off?
07-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

If You are like to have JPG from the camera, of course all of optical correction must be on. But there is no chance for camera to made JPG with quality near to DXO. (too small processor, memory and time for that...)

07-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally it is best to all all corrections in computer afterwards, incl. lens distortion correction. These corrections take time and will slow down your camera: e.g., when you do Hi-continuous shooting. In addition, you have full control of the processing in computer.
08-02-2014, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What Ventzy and hcc said. For best image quality, process raw with DxO. But if you don't want to do any post-processing, in-camera jpg corrections are (much) better than none. The problem, however, is that in-camera corrections slow down the shooting process.
08-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But then on the other hand, a corrected picture isn't necessarily a better picture. It's one of those things I just can't figure out why people do it. Maybe one of you guys can post some before and after shots showing how lens correction changes you photography?
08-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

Lens correction in camera also slows the camera down if shooting in burst mode.. takes extra time to process each frame.. before clearing the buffer and letting you shoot again. So if you value burst speed then I'd disable the correction in camera.

---------- Post added 08-02-14 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But then on the other hand, a corrected picture isn't necessarily a better picture. It's one of those things I just can't figure out why people do it. Maybe one of you guys can post some before and after shots showing how lens correction changes you photography?
Here is an example of before and after:

Elements on which to focus are the lines.. roof.. vertical columns.. and the road are all bent/warped without correction. The center of the image, without correction, is also scaled incorrectly (in this case too large) from it's actual proportions.