Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro

Hi all would this lens SMC Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro fit the K3 seen it on fleabay was wondering if I should give it a try

have been looking at older lenses not sure what an ( M lens is for ) also one more thing been reading about this Tamron adaptal or some thing like that is that an adapter you need for older Tamron lenses
excuse my ignorance any help appreciated
Tom G

07-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah it will not only fit your camera but also perform really good ! This is one of better macro 50mm lenses - can be had cheaply but as all macro lenses - will command a bit more than usual 50mm normal lens. Adaptall ( and Adaptall 2 ) is system of lenses manufactured by Tamron for interchangeable mounts. Mounts that will work with Pentax K (digital and film) cameras are K - sometime described as P K or P K.M. - and also much more desirable one with electric contacts P KA - which will offer some degree of auto- exposure and flash. From Tamron Adaptall lenses there are several that will definitely delivery great - especially prime lenses will shine. Check the review section for more detailed information : Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

'>' manntax
07-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

All k-mount lenses are to some measure compatible with your K3, with some limitations. The Pentax K-mount manual focus lenses came in three series, K, M and A. The "A" series being the most compatible as they will function in all exposure modes and even provide matrix metering.

Be aware this lens needs an extension tube to achieve 1 to 1 magnification.

See
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html
07-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
All k-mount lenses are to some measure compatible with your K3, with some limitations. The Pentax K-mount manual focus lenses came in three series, K, M and A. The "A" series being the most compatible as they will function in all exposure modes and even provide matrix metering.

Be aware this lens needs an extension tube to achieve 1 to 1 magnification.

See
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html
Thanks ( N.a N. ) for the fast response and thanks for this advice ( Be aware this lens needs an extension tube to achieve 1 to 1 magnification ) I did not know that so I will not bid on it now

A Million Thanks to all on the forum for all the help I have received on here,
its just such a great place to receive help and advice,
I for one really appreciate it

Tom G

07-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Be aware that quite a lot of dedicated macro lenses of all brands do not achieve 1:1.

Also the older macro lenses from Minolta and Olympus (and Oly had really specialized on macro) needed an additional element to get more than 1:2.
Sellers on eBay will seldom tell you (may not even know it), you'll have to search for this information.
07-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, you don't need a ton of extension to reach 1:1 on the 50mm F/4 - something like 25mm ought to do it (from memory). I have a Sigma 50mm F/2.8 1:1 macro, and it's a much heavier lens than even the 50mm F/4 plus extension. The Sigma does have autofocus, though, but both are razor sharp and one is much less expensive than the other... If I had to keep just one, I'd probably keep the M 50mm F/4. It's a fantastic little lens for still-life and product close-ups...

Last edited by Doundounba; 07-29-2014 at 04:49 PM.
07-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For whatever reason most of the camera manufacturers did not make their manual prime macro lenses do 1x magnification without adapters or extension tubes. One exception to this is the Takumar 50mm f4 macro pre-set (screwmount). Minolta included or sold a dedicated extension tube for their 50mm and 100mm macro lenses. The Pentax literature say to use the 28.5mm or 26mm extension tubes with the 50mm macro lenses. They also made a 50mm and 100mm auto extension tubes. When used on the 100mm macro prime the 50mm and 100mm tubes would give a maximum magnification of 1x and 1.5x, respectively.
07-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 1:2 macro lenses are easier for handheld shooting. If you know that you really need 1:1, get 1:1, but don't buy it just because.

AF is sometimes useful, but it's pretty easy to work without it. I think a KA mount lens (one with the A position on the aperture ring) is a useful feature. It makes metering, camera adjustments and flash usage easier. But the lens selection is more limited, and prices can often be high. It doesn't make a lot of sense to pay $250 for one if the Tamron 90mm f2.8 AF lens is $300 used. Extension tubes with contacts are also expensive and rare, though you can remove glass from old teleconverters.

Macros can be taken with lots of cheap equipment, stuff that makes the M50/4 look like a luxury. It may be more fun to go this cheap way. The results can be the same.

07-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter

The Pentax SMC-A 50 f2.8 is the lens I use most on my K-5. Very nice combination.