Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peculiar EXIF issue

Ever since I installed FW 1.10 on my K-3, my photos all claim to have been shot at 1/180th shutter speed, according to the EXIF data. Once I discovered this, I tested different shutter speeds, and the camera appears to be functioning normally, just the EXIF is incorrect. Has anybody else noticed this, or have some suggestions about how to fix this issue? Thanks!

Robin

07-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried a reset?
07-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you shooting RAW or JPG? Are you using Aperture or iPhoto by any chance?

Recently I noticed that Aperture was getting a few EXIF fields wrong when importing RAW files from the K3 (specifically AF mode and flash used). I am still running FW 1.03

All is fine when shooting JPG and importing them. I only have issues with RAW files.

If it is the case, the issue may be caused by the new firmware but the underlying problem is with the RAW converter.
07-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I have tried a reset to no avail. I am shooting RAW + JPG, and normally use Aperture, but the problem is even in the info displayed on the camera screen when viewing immediately after shooting. All other EXIF data seems correct. I am going to leave the battery out overnight, and will reflash the FW in the morning and see what happens.

Robin

07-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had that problem on and off with all my digital cameras so I'm thinking it's either a random thing with raw converters or maybe with some memory cards. CR in Photoshop is doing it too. The other thing is I've noticed that I get incorrect shutter counts sometimes when I try to get one online. I've used two different shutter count sites. I know I've shot 900 plus shots on my K-30 so far. I've counted the raw files, but my shutter count is still lower than it should be using both sites. They agree with each other but my physical count of my shots is higher. I keep thinking maybe it's an exif error, something to do with the memory cards I'm using or maybe with Camera Raw. My Oly's shot count is wrong too if I go by what the sites tell me. It's not just the Pentax cameras. It's always a bit off and it never seems to matter which camera. Shutter speed too sometimes.
07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Since you are seeing the 1/180s value in the preview info as well as in the exif, it is pretty clear this is the value written to the file by the camera. Why it is doing so is the big question. Are you able to confirm that the actual exposure shutter speed is different than 1/180s? This should be easy enough to test by using a brightly lit subject and a moderate aperture in Av mode.

Steve
07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have confirmed that the shutter speed is changing. I can overexpose or underexpose at will, and when I set the shutter speed to something noticeably long (1/4s or slower), it is obviously slow, as it should be. It doesn't seem to affect the camera performance at all, but it irks me nonetheless.

Robin

07-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Have you talked with Pentax? Your issue may not be fatal, but it may be evidence of a larger problem. Best to get it fixed while still on warranty.

Steve
07-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like the camera thinks you're firing your flash for whatever reason. Check to see if any of your flash settings are screwy, or maybe fire off a flash shot or two and see if that helps at all.
07-30-2014, 04:55 AM   #10
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So after leaving the battery out overnight, I reflashed the FW this morning. Everything is back to the way it should be. Go figure... I had checked the flash settings as it was reporting the sync speed for everything, but there was nothing odd there. I bought the camera in February, so I have some time left on the warranty. I think I will just keep a close eye on everything and see if this problem recurs before I send it in. Thanks to all for all the advice and help.

Robin
07-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I've learnt something! I did not know one could re-install the same firmware!
07-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wasn't sure what would happen if I tried to reinstall the same firmware, but one of my very tech-minded friends suggested it, and it seemed to proceed the same as a normal FW update. It even said 'Ver. 1.10 -> 1.10' on the screen. I don't know if reflashing is what fixed the issue, or if it was leaving the battery out for an extended period, or some combination of all this with a reset in conjunction with the new moon... I'm just happy everything is back to normal.

Robin