Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

K30 quit working

The other day while shooting my son's football practice my K30 went all crazy and then quit working properly. It made this horrible clicking shutter noise and then froze. I had to remove the battery to get it to completely turn off as just turning the power off did not work. I turned it back on and attempted to shoot another shot, in sports mode, and it just made that awful clicking shutter noise and maybe 10 seconds later took the shot. When I got home I made sure the lens was seated properly and functioning, that was fine. I removed the lens to check the shutter function and bingo, there was that awful clicking shutter noise and a serious delay in taking of the shot. I contacted Pentax about the issue and they said it sounds like a shutter/mirror function issue and want me to send it in. However, as they are moving, they cannot accept equipment to work on until after August 8. What I am wondering is if anyone else has had this issue and what was your fix? If anything I'd like to know what this will cost me on average. My KX and K20d are being serviced and cleaned right now so I am in a real pickle as these are all used as professional cameras.

07-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a number of "mirror flapping" issues, not all quite the same. And mostly with the k-5 and some with the k-3. Not a huge number of complaints with the k-30 that I remember seeing.

Anyway, you have done all that is recommended, except perhaps try a different battery. So it will need to go in for repair. My k-5 went in for a similar issue (they called it mirror overrun) and was repaired under warranty so no idea of the cost.

Lousy timing as they have announced they are changing repair centers and CRIS will no longer be doing the warranty service. If it is out of warranty you might talk to CRIS and see if they are still accepting Pentax just not warranty. Not sure what the status will be as the notice on the website was a little unclear.
07-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not a huge number of complaints with the k-30 that I remember seeing.
Yep...The K-30 has led a charmed life. It sounds like you have done your due diligence and the service center is your best bet.

Steve
07-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Figures I'm the one who runs a K30 into the ground.

07-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread might be of interest: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/269090-repairs.html
07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

try clean the ring-shaped part of the camera where the lense is attached, do the same for the lense. It worked for my Kr. Be careful to do that with camera facing down.