Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Is my lens sharp?

Hey guys,

last week i got my new Samyang 10mm f2.8. I did some testshots at night but i found it a bit soft. So I did this testshot on a tripod with a wired remote.

Exif: Pentax K30 (highest qulity jpg), ISO 400, 1/15sec, f8, IS off

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp2p8axr3bxg0es/IMGP4797.jpg

(you may have to downlad it to view it in full size)

What do you think guys, is it sharp?

07-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Not sure what you're looking for - but this is sharp on my monitor (1920x1200). Almost too sharp for me, sharpness doesn't make for a good photo though, only a good photo does that.
I know it was a test shot, but there's no depth to it, it's like a smartphone photo.
07-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, ISO 400 is not what I would use for a test shot. Certainly usable but for tests you want everything as good as possible except what you are testing. So using ISO 400 may introduce some softness that disguises what the lens is doing.

And IMHO that is a horrible shot to use as a test. Subject is angled away from you and at all different distances, sky is blown out and lighting is bad. Not trying to critique the shot but if you want an honest test you need a subject that is aligned, has sharp detail and is properly lit. At 1/15th no way to tell if the lens is soft or the wind moved things around a bit with that subject.
07-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Not sure what you're looking for - but this is sharp on my monitor (1920x1200). Almost too sharp for me, sharpness doesn't make for a good photo though, only a good photo does that.
I know it was a test shot, but there's no depth to it, it's like a smartphone photo.
I didnt want to win a contest with that picture, i just wanted to know if it looks sharp for a 'professional eye', even at this conditions. But thank you.

07-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes. But work on your technique.
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks pretty sharp for 10mm even out to the corners.
07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lpolzer Quote
I didnt want to win a contest with that picture, i just wanted to know if it looks sharp for a 'professional eye', even at this conditions. But thank you.
Well, ignoring your unfriendly sarcasm towards someone who bothered to reply to your request for an opinion, and that I wasn't the only one who commented on your choice of 'test shot' - sharp doesn't equate to professional, it only means it's sharp.
The result you posted looks over sharp to me.
What are your custom picture settings in the camera?
07-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, ignoring your unfriendly sarcasm towards someone who bothered to reply to your request for an opinion, and that I wasn't the only one who commented on your choice of 'test shot' - sharp doesn't equate to professional, it only means it's sharp.
The result you posted looks over sharp to me.
What are your custom picture settings in the camera?

Sorry, I didn't want to sound unfriendly.

So nothing too fancy - Auto noise reduction and Auto highlights.

I did this shot at night with it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kag3yg35liho36c/IMGP4741.jpg

To my eyes it looked blurry. Probably its due to tripod movement or high ISO. So i just wondered if its only me.

07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, ISO 1600 with a lot of NR is going to make details smear.
Otherwise it looks fine to me.
07-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Post some 100% crops please
07-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Post some 100% crops please
You can download the pictures from the link to view it in full size

---------- Post added 07-31-14 at 02:14 AM ----------

Yes, ISO 1600 with a lot of NR is going to make details smear.
Otherwise it looks fine to me.
I always had the feeling that until ISO there's barely any noise.
07-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lpolzer Quote
I always had the feeling that until ISO there's barely any noise.
Depends on your tolerance for noise. With k-5II I will shoot sometimes at 400 if needed but generally not happy with anything over 200. With k-3 I never shoot over 200. For what I do any noise or the slight softness caused by noise reduction is a fail.

But that is beside the point, if you are trying to do a test you need to eliminate other factors. In your test shot you have poor lighting, potential wind and high ISO any of which could cause an image to be softer than it would be in ideal conditions. If you are trying to measure how sharp that lens is in poor light with moving leaves and at high ISO, fine. But if you are trying to judge the lens itself you need to bring all other conditions as close to optimal as possible.

Shoot a well lit brick wall with the camera on a tripod and precisely aligned perpendicular to the wall, use a low ISO and a release or the timer. Then you will know if the lens is sharp.