Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

K-30 light measuring problems

Hello fellow photographers.
I'm a noob photographer and K-30 owner (very satisfied with her).
Recently, while shooting a concert, the shots became very dark.
After doing a reset to default settings the issue was still there.
When shooting in video mode everything is fine and the picture is normal. When shooting in every other mode, the pictures become dark as if the light sensor gives wrong information to the camera. (when i raise the iso and lower speed, i can achieve a normal result but not with normal settings). Lens and body are fine (no chrushing )

I don't have much experience with troubleshooting (this is my first DSLR) and i would like to ask for advice. Are ther known problems with light sensor at these cameras? Will reinstalling the firmware fix this or should i contact pentax?
Thanks in advance
frog

08-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, exposure is a function of shutter speed, ISO and aperture and there is no way around it. If your settings don't allow enough light in the just don't, laws of physics.
08-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

There have been reports of an underexposure issue with the K-30, but before we jump to conclusions, it would be good to take a good look at what you are doing. Here is a list of things to consider:
  • Exposure mode (accidental M or X mode removes the meter from the exposure)
  • ISO setting (set too low perhaps?)
  • Meter mode (spot metering can really throw things off if you are not intending to use it)
  • Exposure compensation at some minus setting? (Added in response to severalsnakes' comment below)
If you want to do a quick test for exposure accuracy:
  • Find an evenly-lit, featureless white wall out of direct sun
  • Av mode
  • Matrix metering
  • Auto-ISO
  • Manual focus
  • Exposure compensation off
  • Make several exposures through the entire range of aperture values
On review of the histograms, the peak should be centered in the range for each shot.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-02-14 at 09:49 AM ----------

If the histograms show underexposure (either consistent or intermittent) and the camera is under warranty, you may want to contact Pentax for help in resolving the issue.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.
08-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And make sure you haven't engaged exposure compensation. Not that I've ever done that...

08-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
And make sure you haven't engaged exposure compensation. Not that I've ever done that...
Ha! Ha! I forgot that one! I will edit my "recipes" above!!

Steve
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello and thanks very much for your time and answers
I tried as a test to take a picture of my room (enough light) with:M mode---F4---1/40---ISO 12800 and all i got was a dark photo (completely dark).When i lowered the speed to 1/5, i got a very underexposed picture.
Probably the problem doesn't have to do with exposure meter.

(i just hope pentax doesn't rip me off cuz i can't find the warranty :P )
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fr90 Quote
I tried as a test to take a picture of my room (enough light) with:M mode---F4---1/40---ISO 12800
M-mode
Shutter speed at 2 seconds
Lens off camera

Locate the aperture actuator coupling (about 9:00 on left side of the mount opening as you face the front of the camera) that engages aperture actuator lever on the lens. Press the shutter release and confirm that the lever moves full up at beginning of the exposure and full down at the end. If the lever does not move or moves only a little way, the mechanism is broken.

Either way, contact Pentax. Do not wait until you figure this out. You do not require the paper warranty, only a proof of purchase. The confirmation e-mail from an online merchant should be adequate evidence.

Steve
09-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

K-30 problem too

Where can I contact Pentax (phone # please) for a warranty issue? I keep getting a dark image until i snap 5-10 images... then what ever is broken/wrong works.
This is a MAJOR issue when taking pictures of kids and sporting events.
Thank you,
Jim

09-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjmccoy2 Quote
Where can I contact Pentax (phone # please) for a warranty issue? I keep getting a dark image until i snap 5-10 images... then what ever is broken/wrong works.
This is a MAJOR issue when taking pictures of kids and sporting events.
Thank you,
Jim
Go here:

Digital Cameras by RICOH Imaging - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR

Pull down Customer Service. There are phone numbers there and webforms. They also have a live web chat feature.
09-11-2014, 03:07 AM   #10

Thank you... I did get in touch over the "Chat" - though it took some time to get a rep on the chat, they were able to go through the steps and determined that I needed to have it checked out. I sent it in right away... Should have it back in 2 weeks.

Thanks again!