Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Can't set shutter speed

Hi-
I have a K100d. Lately I've had trouble setting the shutter speed; I turn the dial, sometimes the numbers change, sometimes they don't. I need to turn the camera off and on, set it to manual, halfway depress the shutter and press the AE-L button to set the speed. Having done this I can then set the speed with the dial. But only once, and only in one direction For example: speed set to 50 with AE-L, I can go to a faster or slower speed from that start, but once I change direction the speed usually jumps to 4000. At which point turning the wheel makes no sense: the screen will read 4000 no matter which direction I spin the wheel or it will jump between 4000 and 2500. The only way to change the shutter speed at this point is to stop and start the camera? Anyone else encountered this?
Thanks,
JL

08-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be that the e-dial needs to be cleaned.

Maybe this thread on a similar problem with the K-r could help you solve the issue.
08-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JLM Quote
Hi-
I have a K100d. Lately I've had trouble setting the shutter speed; I turn the dial, sometimes the numbers change, sometimes they don't. I need to turn the camera off and on, set it to manual, halfway depress the shutter and press the AE-L button to set the speed. Having done this I can then set the speed with the dial. But only once, and only in one direction For example: speed set to 50 with AE-L, I can go to a faster or slower speed from that start, but once I change direction the speed usually jumps to 4000. At which point turning the wheel makes no sense: the screen will read 4000 no matter which direction I spin the wheel or it will jump between 4000 and 2500. The only way to change the shutter speed at this point is to stop and start the camera? Anyone else encountered this?
Thanks,
JL
Does this occur in all mode dial positions?
08-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
JLM

Original Poster
dial resopnse

Yes, it's weird in all positions, does not respond or responds wildly, jumping all over.

---------- Post added 08-03-14 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It could be that the e-dial needs to be cleaned.

Maybe this thread on a similar problem with the K-r could help you solve the issue.
That link was down but I'll try cleaning it.
Thanks.

08-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have a similar problem with my Kx. Sent it to Eric for repair. He replied that he will clean the contacts but that it may need to be sent in for service. I presume he means Pentax Service. I will post again when I get my camera back. Very frustrating!