Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 light leaks

Hi there. I have recently bought Asahi Pentax 6x7. I did my first roll and had it developed right after shooting. After seeing the results I cried. It seems that there are major light leaks. I checked the foam on the back cover as well as those on pentaprism and they look OK to me but the results... I enclose only two scans but every single frame looks like this. Is it possible that I mishandled the film or something? I'm not new to photography and certainly not new to film cameras but I've never seen anything like this before. I contacted the seller and sent him the scans. He promised me to look into it but I'd like to have second opinion. Thank you all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D700  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D700  Photo 
08-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I experienced some simlar results.... and they were from the way I handled the 120 film while unloading the exposed roll. I've only shot maybe.. a dozen or so rolls of 120 - i'm sure your experience is more extensive
08-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I experienced some simlar results.... and they were from the way I handled the 120 film while unloading the exposed roll. I've only shot maybe.. a dozen or so rolls of 120 - i'm sure your experience is more extensive
Thank you for the info Mattt. Believe me, my mentioning of not being new to film cameras was only informative. I had a feeling that I could have messed something up unloading the film. Be sure that I feel like an absolute beginner right now. I shot digital for far too long
08-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here was what I got.. and it was due to the roll "un rolling". I now carry a sheet of foil to keep the 120 rolled nice and tight. If you rely on the stretch of adhesive they give you it's a gamble IMO.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EPSON scanner  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EPSON scanner  Photo 
08-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can use a darkroom ( or even a dark room at night)
Put a key-fob led flashlight in the camera and close the back.
When eyes are adjusted, rotate the camera around at various angles to try to see any leaks.

I usually change the 120 rolls indoors in natural light and so far that has not caused any fogging. I take care to keep the roll tight by hand when unloading and taping.
08-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Light leaks don't change position from frame to frame.

This is probably handling issues, 120 roll film is poor in this regard being a simple spool with a paper back and is prone to light ingress during handling.

Change install and remove film in a changing bag, practice on a gash roll before hand so you load and remove film in the dark. If you don't have a changing bag make one out of a large coat.

Place a large coat buttoned up on its back on a flat surface with neck towards you. Flip the neck part away from you towards the coat bottom, (about a third), flip the bottom third towards you so it covers the top and middle. This makes an impromptu changing bag and the sleeves are where you put your arms in.

Do it again this time putting your gear inside it first.

This changing bag trick is light tight in subdued lighting and is available as long as you have a coat to hand.

Don't handle any film in ambient light. put the exposed film in a light tight box in the changing bag, and then only remove it and put it in the developing tank in the darkroom.

Then develop it and the only fogging will then be due to light leaks in the camera.

If you see no fogging you know the culprit.

If you see fogging you know what to do.
08-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like this!

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Place a large coat buttoned up on its back on a flat surface with neck towards you. Flip the neck part away from you towards the coat bottom, (about a third), flip the bottom third towards you so it covers the top and middle. This makes an impromptu changing bag and the sleeves are where you put your arms in.
and whatever you do.. dont do this!

08-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I'll take every precautions next time (that is, tomorrow ). What amazes me is that I always used 120 film with my Yashica 6x6 and never experienced such problems :/ Well, it seems that it was bound to happen someday.
@wombat2go: I'll do the test. Thanks!
@matt: Yup, it look similar but not so extensive.
08-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I experienced some simlar results.... and they were from the way I handled the 120 film while unloading the exposed roll.
Here was what I got.. and it was due to the roll "un rolling".
Yep, the infamous "unrolling"! The advice to change film in the shade is doubly appropriate with roll films and post-exposure storage is important too. You can save the foil wrappers the film came in to wrap the exposed rolls in. I am fortunate to have several plastic film cans from rolls of Rollei Retro 80s that I have repurposed for general usage.* They work great.

Steve

* RR 80s has extended red sensitivity as a clear film base. As a result, it is particularly sensitive to light leakage at the margins, hence the special packaging.
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
This is probably handling issues, 120 roll film is poor in this regard being a simple spool with a paper back and is prone to light ingress during handling.
I had similar issues with my Pentax 645 but ever since I changed the way I unloaded the spool, I found so far that the cause for error was mainly me.
If I'm outside, I'll unload my roll with my back turned against the sun so the insert is shaded. I then try to keep the paper backing tight on the back all while shading it with my body or an area that is shaded close by.
Not sure how practical the insert loading and unloading would be for the Pentax 645 if I had to create a makeshift changing bag to do it... but now I have some ideas :P