Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

ist* DL died while in storage

I have old ist* DL and I have put it in storage in working condition.

Now I tried with good batteries (NiMH) and even I tried to give 6.5VDC from input and camera only took few mA.

Has anyone good ideas what to do? Repairing commercially isn't real option I believe.

08-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the DL . Have you checked the battery conacts to make sure they are clean.Will it turn on at all?
08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I may be mistaken but don't some of the *ist have a user replaceable button battery for the CMOS backup? If so try replacing that with a fresh one. It should be accessible from the bottom plate of the camera.
08-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Battery contacts are clean. I cleaned with contact schemie contact cleaner and swabs.

I can't find any CMOS battery door. And service manual doesn't mention anything about CMOS battery. However I noticed that 7-12 mA is good value for camera off state in DC in current. Mabye the problem is in power switch...

08-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate to say this but you might just have to give up on it. My first *ist DL had a blown onboard flash and it just died a few months after I got it. Tech looked at it and told me the motherboard went. I was given another one later and I gave that one to my niece. Same deal. It was fine when I first got it but now it's got a blown flash and I'm betting it won't last long besides that. I don't think much of the *ist DL at this point. I've seen a few people mentioning flash and battery issues now and I've known two people besides me who had one only to have it die pretty early in it's life cycle. If you want an older body you can pick up a K100D/K110D for about $100 in quite a few places now. Or another *ist of a different vintage for even less than that. But I'd stay the heck away from the DL's. In my mind they have "issues" as they say....
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't believe there is a CMOS battery in the IST DL.
If you are adventurous the repair manual is located here.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: DIY Reminder: Pentax Service Manuals @ the Pentax-Hack(.Info)
Do note that there is a password in the zip file which you will need to open the pdf.
Keep in mind as well that this is not my website and that you should check all downloads and pdf's for any virus before opening.
08-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you Magkelly for saying what I thought. I was going to give that body, kitlens and 50mm 1.7 manual to a 6 year old kid who showed talent and interest to take pictures.

That DL had served me well. I took about 40000 pictures with it. And it was always with me as backup or quick P&S option. I still take my pictures with old ME film bodies (I've had 7 of them and 3 are used as spare parts) and smaller Olympus digital P&S is on my toolbelt as backup. Now I'm planning to get K-3 and maybe start taking digital pictures.
08-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
I can't find any CMOS battery door. And service manual doesn't mention anything about CMOS battery. However I noticed that 7-12 mA is good value for camera off state in DC in current. Mabye the problem is in power switch..
The K-3 is a large step up from the DL. Enjoy it.You will be amazed at the difference in a very positive way.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones my DL is still going strong and is my backup body.