Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

P30t not reloading film

I have a Pentax P30t that isn't loading new film. I put in the new film, make sure it catches the teeth, then close the camera. I turn the film rewind lever counter-clockwise to advance the film a bit, try taking some shots to be able to use the wind lever but nothing happens. The shutter button doesn't do anything. I turned the shutter speed knob to different settings. I've also noticed the rewind button on the bottom is loose. I pressed it when I took out my last roll a couple weeks ago. Also, I replaced the batteries in case that's what was causing the shutter to not engage. So what could it be? Is it a costly repair? Anything an amateur like myself could fix?

08-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They cost little but postage. Bin it after taking it apart. The most common failure I've seen is failure to actually cock the shutter. Some report success after removing the base.
08-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #3

once you put the film in you should wind on- using the lever on the top right side, you don't need to use he rewind lever to slacken the film.
Also as daft as it sounds have you turned the camera on

---------- Post added 08-03-14 at 09:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
They cost little but postage. Bin it after taking it apart. The most common failure I've seen is failure to actually cock the shutter. Some report success after removing the base.
a bit of graphite spray can work wonders here to loosen any tightness
08-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
once you put the film in you should wind on- using the lever on the top right side, you don't need to use he rewind lever to slacken the film.
Also as daft as it sounds have you turned the camera on

---------- Post added 08-03-14 at 09:12 PM ----------

a bit of graphite spray can work wonders here to loosen any tightness

This is right, if you put in film and close the back and then just turn the rewind knob nothing will work. The rewind button will be loose and the shutter button disabled.

The film advance lever on the right must be used, the first stroke will immediately reconnect the rewind button and set the shutter, release the shutter then another wind with the lever winds the film on and sets the shutter again from then on it should work.

That's if I understand your issue correctly.

08-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always move the advance lever a bit before I close the back just to make sure I have everything engaged correctly. Then finish the wind and cocking with the back closed.
08-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
This is right, if you put in film and close the back and then just turn the rewind knob nothing will work. The rewind button will be loose and the shutter button disabled.

The film advance lever on the right must be used, the first stroke will immediately reconnect the rewind button and set the shutter, release the shutter then another wind with the lever winds the film on and sets the shutter again from then on it should work.

That's if I understand your issue correctly.
That's where my issue comes in. The film advance lever isn't doing anything. It just moves freely and it's not reconnecting the rewind button and setting the shutter. I'm guessing the rewind button maybe stuck and not letting everything else fall into place.
08-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

Yes the rewind button in the base of the camera does sometimes stick. This is what my suggestion of using some graphite spray to "unstick" was meant to say.
Here is a link to repairing P30 cameras (the basics are the same for all P30 models)
The password is Pentax
Pentax Manuals

08-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by SanchoPancho Quote
That's where my issue comes in. The film advance lever isn't doing anything. It just moves freely and it's not reconnecting the rewind button and setting the shutter. I'm guessing the rewind button maybe stuck and not letting everything else fall into place.
Hello everyone

I'm having a similar problem. I recently acquired a used P30 (2 days ago), tested it, used 2 films on it, and everything was working fine. I went to load the third film today, but once I placed it in the camera i couldn't wind the film. The winding lever is limp and does nothing. So (as suggested here) I went to check the rewind button, and it was indeed stuck in there. I opened the bottom and managed to unstuck it.

However, the lever is still limp and does not wind. Does that mean it's broken for good? It worked OK with the previews two films, I didn't put any pressure on the lever when winding it, when the film was done I didn't force the lever farther than it could go. It's confusing how it could go limp all of a sudden when 30 minutes prior it was in working shape.
12-01-2016, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #9

I've just started using the Pentax P30T and have a similar issue when loading films. This is partly to remind me in the future if I have the issue.

If the rewind button is stuck in - push the takeup spool around as though you are winding on the film, you'll hear a click and the rewind button pops out. Place the film and then close the back.

The magic trick to getting the winding lever to wind on is to push it right round to the end of the travel it'll click into place, and the ratcheting will work rather than the lever being limp with no resistance.