Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

Can't read MX-1mov video files

Hi,

I would like to afford a MX-1 camera for everyday use, but before I buy it, i have try to read its .mov video file which is available to download at the bottom of this page, and also these files, to check I was able to read them on my PC, but I can't read them : the sound is ok, but the pictures don't move, like frozen.
I have the latest VLC player, also installed the latest Ffdshow codec pack, and also the latest Quicktime plugin. No result.
My PC is XP Pro, SP2, AMD Athlon 2500+, 1.83 Ghz, 992 Mo RAM
On my wife's PC (XP Pro SP3),same result...

So, what can I do ?

Thanx,

Didier.

08-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VLC should be able to open the files without further issue. Make sure you have the H.264 codec installed.

Also, it might be time to upgrade from Windows XP. Windows 7 and up offers much better out of the box compatibility with just about any kind of media file.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Or try converting them to .wmv files.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=.mov+to+.wmv+converter&gws_rd=ssl
08-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Try Mpalyer. I've used it for several years, the only files I've found it wouldn't open were the AVI videos from my Pentax K-x. It handles the MOV files from my K30 with no problems at all.

MPlayer - The Movie Player

Don't bother with the Smplayer front end, it's just a different graphical interface that's not needed, takes more resources without adding much of anything but eye candy. Also, as with any software downloaded, watch the installation screens and do not allow any toolbars to install. I don't remember if this one tries, it's been a while since I installed it but it's on this laptop and working fine right now. I just didn't let it install Smplayer.

08-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers.

I wonder something : the sample .mov files I've downloaded are all in 1920x1080, but my mothercard maximum resolution is 1280x1024.
So, maybe this is the problem.

I've seen that MX1 can also record videos at 1280x720, which could be better for my PC...
Does anyone have sample.mov video files recorded at 1280x720 I could download... ?

Thanx once again for your help.

Didier.
08-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Don't have anything online, but if that's your monitor resolution, it might work if you just try a short video and see if it plays. Mine can handle any resolution I throw at it, but the larger resolution at high frame rate will stutter a bit sometimes. So I'd say just try one and see.