Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always have a microfiber cloth in my bag that works draped over the camera as shown above.

Another option is a piece of gaffers tape. Much more expensive than duct tape but does not leave residue behind. I have a piece stuck on my tripod for holding odds & ends.

08-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
piece of gaffers tape. Much more expensive than duct tape
I never knew it was two different things... Back in my more musical days, we use to call it gaffer tape... but it was sold under the name duct tape. I always used the names interchangeably. The (usually) gray tape with small nylon strands in it, very easy to tear and used to fix 70% of everything

I've used duct tape on everything; guitars, drums, microphones, mixing desks, gel holders, cables, speakers, tripods, cameras, windows, floors, lenses, clothing, road cases, people... and so on. And unless you leave it there for half a decade, I never saw any kind of residue, sticky or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have a piece stuck on my tripod for holding odds & ends.
I'm doing the exact same thing. A few long pieces wrapped around one of the legs. Very useful. And I normally have a couple of 1" x 1/2" stuck under my camera for covering the VF.
08-23-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I never knew it was two different things...
Gaffers tape is cloth with an adhesive that comes off without sticking to the object, it was designed for movie sets, taping down temporary wires and so on. Duct tape can be cloth or plastic substrate with an adhesive that is supposed to be permanent and was designed to be wrapped around HVAC duct work to seal up the joints. It has nylon or some kind of plastic strands in it to help make the duct joint stiff. It was supposed to gradually form a solid seal as the adhesive bonded.

Over time I think they have morphed a bit and different brands have different qualities. Good quality cloth duct tape is almost as good as gaffers tape, if you don't leave it too long, but the cheap stuff can be pretty awful. There is also a lot of "duct" tape that is not commercial and just designed to be all purpose fix anything tape. Real gaffers tape is kinda expensive like $15 - 25 per roll.
08-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #19
Forum Member

100-mph tape

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I never knew it was two different things... Back in my more musical days, we use to call it gaffer tape... but it was sold under the name duct tape. I always used the names interchangeably. The (usually) gray tape with small nylon strands in it, very easy to tear and used to fix 70% of everything

I've used duct tape on everything; guitars, drums, microphones, mixing desks, gel holders, cables, speakers, tripods, cameras, windows, floors, lenses, clothing, road cases, people... and so on. And unless you leave it there for half a decade, I never saw any kind of residue, sticky or not.

I'm doing the exact same thing. A few long pieces wrapped around one of the legs. Very useful. And I normally have a couple of 1" x 1/2" stuck under my camera for covering the VF.
We always called it 100-mph tape because it would hold your race car together up to 100-mph.