Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #1

Strange color banding on all photos

Just got back from a trip and was excited to check out my photos. In camera they all appear normal but when I transfer them to my computer they all have strange color banding on all of the pictures. (I tried opening the RAW files in Picasa as well as Lightroom)

Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk1owDVN

08-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe a bad SD card
08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I did some trial and error. I used the camera to transfer the files to my computer instead of my SD card reader and they appear fine. I tried it again with the same SD card reader in the same port and a different port and they all appear normal again. I'm still not really sure what the issue could have been... It seems like the issue is not the SD card or the camera though. Perhaps my hard drive or my card reader?
08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fortunately they came out OK. I had pics like that once when I forgot to format a new card, I was not able to rescue them.

08-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like something in the data path. Maybe the card reader was inserted just a bit crooked, maybe the SD card was not seated perfectly. Fortunately it seems nothing is wrong with your camera or the SD card. If it happens again I would be looking for a new card reader. Otherwise I would not worry too much.
08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Format the card as a precaution. If the problem keeps happening, try a different USB port, card reader, and card.
08-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pizza Quote
they all appear normal again
I like problems that go away on their own...

08-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #8

Banding with long exposure - any ideas?

I bought a B&W 3.0 ND 100x filter a few months ago and took some great long exposure shots getting cloud movement over a gloomy city. I great way to enliven dull shots. Since then though I get foggy areas, overall low contrast, colour casts and a strange line across the lower third with a purple cast (see attached). This happens now on every shot I take over 15 secs long in daylight with the filter on. So I bought a Hoya for another lens and tried it with the same result. This is on my K30D. I have run the same experiment on my K20D and both lenses and both filters work as they should. I read the above posts and tried different SD cards too to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.Name:  Falls 15 sec K30D.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  185.9 KB
08-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fryad Quote
Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Yeah, cover your viewfinder with a piece of tape, even if you're shooting in LiveView mode. This band and this wash out is cause by light coming into the camera from the viewfinder.

When the mirror is up, it does not completely cover the "opening" going to the viewfinder, leaking light in the camera. Also, the mirror has a partially translucent area (for PDAF) that will also let some light through.

They make special covers for it but a $0.000001 piece of duct tape does the job #1
08-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

@fryad, see my reply to the other thread where you posted the same photo. My K-5 doesn't need the viewfinder covered but maybe the K30 uses a different viewfinder configuration that lets light get in.
08-21-2014, 11:00 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies, yes it appears it's light leakage so duct tape over the OVF this weekend and I'll see how I go. Cheers to all.
08-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fryad Quote
Thanks for the replies, yes it appears it's light leakage so duct tape over the OVF this weekend and I'll see how I go. Cheers to all.
Or you could use the eyepiece cover that came with the camera.

Steve
08-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or you could use the eyepiece cover that came with the camera
The downside of the cover is that you need to remove the rubbery thingy from the viewfinder
08-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
The downside of the cover is that you need to remove the rubbery thingy from the viewfinder
And if you use duct tape of the rubbery thingy (rubber eyecup), the sticky gets in your eyebrows. No good answers.

Steve

(...I use my thumb...)
08-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with stevebrot - a thumb over the view finder... or maybe I might hang my cap. i've also trapped a microfibre lens cloth in the hotshoe with the hotshoe cover and draped it over the VF.... like so...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo