Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Metering for long exposures

I just ordered a K-3, and have been reading stuff online for a week now. I have been using a Sony Alpha 100, as a travel camera, but the sensor was so horrible, I decided it was time for a serious camera, hence my new purchase of a Pentax.
I love to do landscape photography, and have made my own pinhole cameras in the past, calculating exposure times up to 3.5 minutes. I was just reading about ND filters and long exposures. Does anyone happen to know how long the K3 will meter for regarding what used to be considered a bulb setting? Or would this be something I would have to calculate on my own from what the camera will meter for? I'm thinking specifically about trying extreme ND filters, and possibly a body cap pinhole lens. Any info on achieving long exposures would be really appreciated, including recommendations for remote shutter releases too.

08-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K3, like all of my other Pentax DSLRs will meter out to 30seconds. Beyond that, using Bulb mode and a cable release is used to get longer exposures. While I'm sure there is a way to calculate times, I tend to use trial and error to get longer exposure times right. As far as pinhole caps go, here is a good resource for all things pinholly. Pinhole Resource - Home

Oh, the Pentax cable release is a good one. http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9543 Although I also have a Bower remote timer release which also works and is a bit cheaper.
08-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 meter is accurate from -3 to +22 EV at ISO 100. For a table of EV values and how they translate to camera settings see:
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For example, the low light threshold for meter accuracy would be these metered settings at ISO 100:
30s @ f/2
At ISO 200:
15s @ f/2
And so on...

Steve

---------- Post added 08-06-14 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The K3, like all of my other Pentax DSLRs will meter out to 30seconds.
That is the maximum shutter time. Meter sensitivity (that range of EV within which the meter response is linear) is another thing entirely.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2014 at 03:35 PM.
08-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholmes Quote
I just ordered a K-3, and have been reading stuff online for a week now. I have been using a Sony Alpha 100, as a travel camera, but the sensor was so horrible, I decided it was time for a serious camera, hence my new purchase of a Pentax.
I love to do landscape photography, and have made my own pinhole cameras in the past, calculating exposure times up to 3.5 minutes. I was just reading about ND filters and long exposures. Does anyone happen to know how long the K3 will meter for regarding what used to be considered a bulb setting? Or would this be something I would have to calculate on my own from what the camera will meter for? I'm thinking specifically about trying extreme ND filters, and possibly a body cap pinhole lens. Any info on achieving long exposures would be really appreciated, including recommendations for remote shutter releases too.
I still have and use an A100 on occasion, and it still can produce excellent results...when used in good light. Your upgrading to a K-3 will be quite a shock. My suggestion would be that the first few pictures you take, take indoors, then let us know your reaction.