Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Focus mode question

I have been learning to photograph birds in flight. Sometimes this requires a burst of 3-6 shots depending on how fast the bird is moving. My question is, in Auto Focus, does the camera refocus between each photo in burst mode? The reason I ask is that the bird can be 1-5 feet closer between the first and last shot. Or does the camera need to be in Continues Focus Mode for this to happen?

The thing I fear about continues focus is that I'm afraid in I flinch on my tracking that the lens try to focus on the sky and I'll totally lose focus while it hunts. I don't have a focus limiter on my lens unfortunately.

08-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, your camera will need to be in AF-C for re-focusing between shots during burst.

In AF-S, your camera will fire the burst while maintaining focus at the same distance for the burst.

A trick to help the camera track is to either use single point focus or use a small focus zone. Against blue skies, the camera shouldn't struggle to much identifying the subject.

And you should also set your AF-C to focus priority
08-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fgaudet has it right for setup - I use center point most of the time, and AF-C

You might want to practice with the rear AF button to maintain focus and the trigger to capture images, that seems to work best for tracking motion.
08-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I depends on how far away the bird is. If it stays at the infinity focus range of the lens, then you actually stand a better chance of getting sharp image of the bird by focusing the lens out to infinity and just leave it. In other words, don't use AF-C or any AF at all.

08-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm experimenting with the various ideas expressed here. I do like to use center point focusing but that is more difficult for the bif. So I set things up as one of my user settings on setting knob. Now if I see a bird coming or one that I anticipate flying soon I can turn to the dial and be set. I have found the center 5-point focus setting works well for me. I am having more trouble with using the AE/AF button to to focus. On the K-50 it in not in a natural position for my at least. I either miss or hit the green button to often. But I'm going to work it a bit longer and see if I can get used to not only hitting it, but also remembering to push it down to start focus.
08-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

One more thing you could try is to use a slower burst mode. I believe your camera has two? In another thread (about the K3) I read how that helped the focus to better keep up in between shots.
Haven't tried it myself, though, nor do I know the K50. But might be worth looking into.