Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vishalv Quote
All,

Firstly, let me say am floored with the response I've received on this thread. I am just a week or two old on this forum and looks like I am gonna like my stay here.

Trust me, I was only trying to quench my fears and had no ulterior motives. I had the K-3 in my cart when I read this review and it took me aback.

It totally makes sense that I chose to ignore all the 5s and decided to quote this one review. But then, that's what humans do, isn't it? It takes one negative feedback to bring a screeching halt to the plans you've made and you are bound to seek a second opinion from those who know their gear well.

I am glad to have done so and your reviews has revived my plans to purchase a K-3.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Vishal
And you believe all the bulls---e you read about the k3,

first learn to use the camera never had any problems that you mention

Tom G

08-08-2014, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
GM Probably works in Nikon's APSc division...

I am not bowled over by GM on Amazon's review. For the record, we have a Sigma 120-400 zoom that we use for portable birding (if there is such a thing) , and it functions very well and is very sharp....

I have also put many F, F*,FA,FA*,DA,and DA* lenses on K-5 and K-3. No issues beyond the lens' individual personalities.

I suggest the following technical remedies for GM...

See an optometrist...
Clean your glasses...
Eat carrots and spinach...
Look at your camera manuals under diopter....
Look through lenses, some may be cruddy inside, from using UW without a housing...
Remove greasy thumbprints from objective lenses and stacked "soft" focusing filters....
Clean objectives after each 50 shots of a barbecue grill cooking lamb...
Get an underwater housing, no actually one for each body with ALL of the attachments....
Buy at least 50 cheap Black & White color filters form each lens, with a complete set for each lens in case you need all bodies ready for inspection...
Prozac, Valium, or equivalent.....

Call your local sanitation department so you can file your review appropriately.......

Sell all of your Equipment, buy second tier Nikon and Canon glass, and repeat your review process many times....

Gee whiz...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 08-08-2014 at 07:02 AM.
08-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #18
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to add to the evidence that the quoted review is an aberration, I have had great results with two K-3's and my legacy and third party lenses, including FA50/1.4, Tamron 28-75, 70-200, 70-300, 10-24, and Sigma 150-500. I have done some focus calibration to improve the performance, but I see this as normal and no different than my K-5 and K20D.
08-08-2014, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Do you mean not buying the K-3 or buying the review?

I still have a K-5 but I have certainly read all the k-3 review I could find and this is the first I have heard of this sort of behaviour.

I'm sure some K-3 owners will be able to comment here...

Not buying the review. Sorry for the confusion.

08-08-2014, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
And you believe all the bulls---e you read about the k3,

first learn to use the camera never had any problems that you mention

Tom G
Tom - I am not sure what was the point you were trying to make by quoting that response, but I was just being thankful to those who came out to help.

Hence, there is no need to be rude or a smart a**

While you may be a master of your game right now, I am fairly certain there was a time when you too had to look for someone for an opinion. As one of posters has commented, the K-3 is a rather expensive camera (maybe, not for you) and it doesn't hurt to ask.

PS: There's no 'e' in bulls**t
08-08-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, a number of Canon & Nikon users have been voluble in their complaints of AF performance with the new Sigma lenses. Sigma essentially had to come up with their own AF system, and there have been issues.

Anyway, some people who run into difficulties immediately fly off the handle and complain, because they have their head shoved so far up their ass that they don't believe in going to a forum and asking for advice. If that Amazon reviewer had surfed on over to PF, I'm sure he would have found the assistance necessary to resolve his issue.

The 18-135 is known to have "issues" with field curvature... it is what it is, and many folks find they do not have a problem with it.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-08-2014 at 01:10 PM.
08-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
FWIW, a number of Canon & Nikon users have been voluble in their complaints of AF performance with the new Sigma lenses. Sigma essentially had to come up with their own AF system, and there have been issues.
And Tamron has had issues as well, the 150-600 specifically.

08-08-2014, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My $.02.

The K3 is a high resolution camera.
The K3 focuses very accurately.
The K3 focuses FAST.
The K3 has a high frame rate per second (FPS).
The K3 has a very powerful screw drive motor for focusing.
The K3 has electrical contacts for focusing
The K3 has AF.s and AF.c

Any lens you put on a K3 will have to keep up with the K3.

That means any slop or mechanical inertia may prevent the lens from hitting it's focus sweet spot - especially if you are in AF.s
Too little damping, and the lens keeps focusing even when the K3 has given the all clear and has started to take the image.

So sure, every lens will focus differently on different cameras, but people seem to think it's all about the camera, when the lens can easily be the weakest link.

The K3 is not forgiving of lower quality lenses (if they have focus mechanical issues), and why arriving at the conclusion of using the latest lenses from Pentax is the same, it has nothing to do with the K3.

Newer Pentax lenses are probably *tuned* better for the K3.
08-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Anyway, some people who run into difficulties immediately fly off the handle and complain, because they have their head shoved so far up their ass that they don't believe in going to a forum and asking for advice. If that Amazon reviewer had surfed on over to PF, I'm sure he would have found the assistance necessary to resolve his issue.

The 18-135 is known to have "issues" with field curvature... it is what it is, and many folks find they do not have a problem with it.
There's corner resolution problems beyond the field curvature.

You can argue that it's a pseudo-fast lens, the corners are smeared.

08-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ive come late to this but Ill say this.

I know an axe job when I see it.

This reviewer set out to discredit the pentax k3. The only other possibility is hes a complete idiot.

His story is he owns several pentax camera bodies and on the one bad experience sells all his pentax lenses, and all the pentax cameras he loves now have no lenses so he has to sell those, and now he has no cameras and he wont buy pentax so he has to buy canon or Nikon or Olympus which he doesn't like because his choice was pentax.

He now has to spend maybe 5,000 dollars on new gear and if he has some issue he will like as not sell all that gear and change again to yet another camera system.

Its just a crock of bull****
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

My tidbit:

I have tested the hey-hey out of my lenses and have never had to make an in camera adjustment for any lens, any body. Luck? Yep. But I'll take it.

Sorry, no third party AF lenses though.
08-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #27

I'm too new to my K3, and stepped up from too old a DSLR to offer any great insights.
I do find it curious, though, that the reviewer is trashing the 18-135mm, as it got very good ratings on the forum. Not for being the best lens, certainly, but as very fine always-on. It's the combination I went for and find it quite remarkable for a kit lens.

The K3 does take some getting used to, though. One drawback, if you want to call it that, is how its higher pixel density does make it more delicate to handle.

I tend to read the negative amazon reviews as well, if only to get an idea of the worse user experiences. But always taking it with quite a grain of salt. If that review makes you hesitate with your purchase decision I'd recommend some more research on the subject before choosing.
Mine made me stick with Pentax as a company, with a certain underdog image that's offering quite a bang for the buck, and very much so for buying the K3.

(written as a non-expert enthusiast with a distinctive like for the underdog )
08-15-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's ALL about the glass...

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
My $.02.

The K3 is a high resolution camera.
The K3 focuses very accurately.
The K3 focuses FAST.
The K3 has a high frame rate per second (FPS).
The K3 has a very powerful screw drive motor for focusing.
The K3 has electrical contacts for focusing
The K3 has AF.s and AF.c

Any lens you put on a K3 will have to keep up with the K3.

That means any slop or mechanical inertia may prevent the lens from hitting it's focus sweet spot - especially if you are in AF.s
Too little damping, and the lens keeps focusing even when the K3 has given the all clear and has started to take the image.

So sure, every lens will focus differently on different cameras, but people seem to think it's all about the camera, when the lens can easily be the weakest link.

The K3 is not forgiving of lower quality lenses (if they have focus mechanical issues), and why arriving at the conclusion of using the latest lenses from Pentax is the same, it has nothing to do with the K3.

Newer Pentax lenses are probably *tuned* better for the K3.

Historically....

Nikon made good bodies, lousy glass (no change)
Canon made Lousy Bodies, decent glass
Sony/Minolta had great glass elements, Fair bodies, lens bodies (Rokkor) didn't hold up.
Olympus made smaller but decent bodies, great glass, but field support was lousy....

The Germans had great glass, oversized and overpriced bodies

Pentax has solid but smaller bodies, had longer than average new product cycles but made large innovation leaps when they did, kept rearward compatibility as much as possible (lots of Nikon and Canon glass paperweights out there...$50 bucks cheap cheap). ANd Pentax glass was the best engineered and executed (mathematically and benched right with the Germans)...

So What's All the Kvetching about? We need ASAP... The Gap Filling DA Long Zoom 135-150 to 380-450(OK somebody pick), a WR 12-24 nice (but no rush), stop making so many overlaps (looks cheap- more is not better), and LONG glass 400-800 Primes and zooms for 645z.

And for the FFers, Cram a FF into the K-01, add an EVF, and lets be done with it...
08-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
The K3 does take some getting used to, though. One drawback, if you want to call it that, is how its higher pixel density does make it more delicate to handle.
Yep...this has been documented in various user comments and is my experience as well.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 08:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Sony/Minolta had great glass elements, Fair bodies, lens bodies (Rokkor) didn't hold up.
Hmmmm...not my experience. My 60s era Minolta cameras/lenses are every bit as serviceable as my other gear of that vintage.

Steve
08-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Nikon made good bodies, lousy glass (no change)