Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Buying new Pentax

Hi all this my first post in a long while. I have a k10d that I purchased in 2007. The flash no longer works and although I have a Metz flash, I'd like to get a new camera. So, which one? How does the k30 compare ? I see the pricing is very reasonable. Should I go better ? Like k 3 or 5 etc.
Thanks

08-08-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You currently have 3 choices:
The k-30 or k-50 which is the 'entry level' line
The k-5, K-5II, K-5IIs which is the top of the line camera but one generation old
The k-3 which is the current flagship

Any of those will be a nice improvement over the k10d. The k-30, k-50 and the k-5 line all use the same (or very close) 16mp sensor. The k-3 has a different 24mp sensor. One thing to look at is the features you want / need. Top LCD, 5 image bracketing, buttons, and so on are all perhaps more important than the actual image quality as all of these will deliver excellent images.
08-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As jatrax says the main difference between the latest bodies is in the feature set more than in image quality. The K30 is a great camera and probably the most sensible money-wise. If you want a descendant from the K10D line out would be a K-5 (go for a ii or iis) or the K-3. A bit more "advanced" than the K30/K50, but only you can know if you need those extra features.

Oh, and the K-5 family lack focus peeking, the 3/30/50 have that - handy if you have manual focus lenses.

Any of these cameras will be a huge leap ahead of the K10D when it comes to high iso. Not much of a difference at low iso.

And welcome to the forums!
08-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

I cannot recommend enough a K-5iis with the grip. You can't get a grip for the k-30 or k-50. Shooting with the grip increases the pleasure factor exponentially.

08-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #5

I had exactly the same choice few months ago when I decided to upgrade my good ol' K100D (which flash didn't work too). First I thought k30 would be the best choice because it's a relatively new model, can use AA batteries (why do I love them?), has better auto focus, video and some other minor improvements. Then I tried it at the store and only then I found some things make me uncomfortable, like relatively small grip, lack of top display, shiny coloured body plastic. For some it won't be a big deal, for me it was so I recommend you to try different cameras yourself and get a feeling.

I ended up buying a k5 18-55wr kit for a very good price and, after selling kit lens, I am more than happy with my choice. It's "that" feeling :-)
08-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sergey K Quote
I had exactly the same choice few months ago when I decided to upgrade my good ol' K100D (which flash didn't work too). First I thought k30 would be the best choice because it's a relatively new model, can use AA batteries (why do I love them?), has better auto focus, video and some other minor improvements. Then I tried it at the store and only then I found some things make me uncomfortable, like relatively small grip, lack of top display, shiny coloured body plastic. For some it won't be a big deal, for me it was so I recommend you to try different cameras yourself and get a feeling.

I ended up buying a k5 18-55wr kit for a very good price and, after selling kit lens, I am more than happy with my choice. It's "that" feeling :-)
Thank all that is some great advice
08-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It also depends [as noted by 2 posts above] on how important the ergonomics and weight/size are to you. I have the k-20d (same body as K-10d), k-x, and k-5 (1st limited edition, w/ improved body [grip])--and as regards handling/controls my K-5 and K-20d are excellent, K-x is much less so--but the K-x is noticeably smaller and lighter. I assume the newer K-30, K-50, etc. would be sort of in between, and the K-3 would be similar to the K-10d/20d and K-5. But that is something you need to see by holding them.

08-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
I am used to the LCD display on my 10d. But it seems that the k30 is a great upgrade minus that feature. Just wondering if the more expensive k5 is worth an LCD. Thoughts, please
08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I cannot recommend enough a K-5iis with the grip. You can't get a grip for the k-30 or k-50. Shooting with the grip increases the pleasure factor exponentially.
+1 I agree too. I have the K50, even though I have small hands its pretty small to get a comfortable grip. I recently got a good deal on the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and the K50 is tiny to the lens.
[/URL]" target="_blank">

I think the K5II would've been a perfect choice for me if not for the higher price. I already have Canon equipment (50D, 30D, similar to the K5II plus the top LCD) so couldn't go all out for a new Pentax K5II.
08-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I went from a K10D to a K-3 this last Spring. The migration was fairly painless and the K-3 is an incredible tool. That being said, any of the currently available Pentax models (with the possible exception of the K-500) will be step up in both image quality and features from your K10D. By step up, I mean superior AF, exposure accuracy, and speed of operation.

Here are some bullet points:
  • For value and features the K-5 IIs is pretty hard to beat while it is still available
  • The K-30/50 lacks the top LCD and metal build, but is a ton of camera for the money...light weight too
  • The K-3 is a lot more money than current pricing for the K-5IIs, but is also a lot more camera
  • You can tell the difference between the 24 Mpixel and 16Mpixel output, but it is not huge
  • It is worth the time and effort to figure out the differences in the features between the three bodies
As I noted, I chose the K-3, though I was highly tempted by the K-50. A close friend has a K-50 and it is a very nice camera. I might also have bought a K-5 IIs except that the price at the time for body only was almost as much as I paid for the K-3 with lens and grip. At current pricing I may well have bought one.

That being said, I have no regrets with the K-3 purchase.

Steve
08-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
Hi all this my first post in a long while. I have a k10d that I purchased in 2007. The flash no longer works and although I have a Metz flash, I'd like to get a new camera. So, which one? How does the k30 compare ? I see the pricing is very reasonable. Should I go better ? Like k 3 or 5 etc.
Thanks
The Pentax K30 had several reported instances of aperture motor failure. I would assume that any shortcomings to the K30 were addressed in the case k50(0). I would get the k50(0), but that is because I have come to appreciate the AA-battery option, whereas the k5 would require the added bulk of a battery grip. In terms of image quality, there is little difference between K5 and K50.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 23:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
'Shooting with the grip' merely adds weight in my case. In other words: no pleasure at all.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-08-2014 at 02:40 PM.
08-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
So , I've narrowed it down to the 30 or 50. They seem pretty much identical. Does one have an advantage over the other? Which is the newer model? Which way to go?
08-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
So , I've narrowed it down to the 30 or 50.
k-50 is the newer model. k-30 was a bit more stylish and departed somewhat from the traditional Pentax look. It had an issue with some third party lenses because the flash stuck out in front just a bit too much so very big lenses such as the Samyang 24mm tilt-shift will not mount on it. The k-50 returns to more traditional styling but AFAIK is identical internally.
08-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded from K10 to K5 and haven't looked back. I do use the top LCD a lot, I don't think I'd get a camera without that.
08-21-2014, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
Thanks all, I went with the k50 ( price was a factor) I am very pleased. It is a big upgrade to my k10. I paid less for the 50 then I did for the 10 seven years ago still learning and reading the manual. I still consider myself a beginner even after 20 + years with pentax. The lack of the top LCD really does not bother me and I do like the live view n the rear. It is well made and does feel good in my hand. So, I am I happy pentaxian. This is my 3rd pentax since my first AF 10. You can't go wrong with any pentax