Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-3 Electronic Level is ON all the time.

I was shooting today and for no reason, the electronic level showed up on my back screen. I thought I had accidentally triggered and went to see the settings. NO, the setting had the electronic level OFF in both cases, viewfinder and live mode. I thought it was a case of battery, I pulled it out and changed it, NO. Nothing happened. I thought I could fix it with an update of the firmware. I have the Version 1.03 installed, and I realized there is a new 1.10. I downloaded the BIN file (no tex file, only one) because I have a Mac. Then I follow the instructions load the 32 MG card with the file in the root directory (I double click it and it creates another file, but that is it!), put a fully loaded battery, press and hold the MENU bottom and start the camera. The camera does not read anything about firmware and just starts normal. I have done and redone the process to no avail. I read a posting from someone yesterday and check, and I am doing the right thing. Do you think it is time to send it for technical repair?

Thanks, Pepe

08-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The download is a .zip file. Have you unzipped it before copying it to the root of the camera-formatted SD card?
08-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I double click it and it creates another file, but that is it!
If you double click the fwdc220b.bin, it'll create another file in fwdc220b.bin.CPGZ which will not work as a firmware update file. On your Mac if your finder isn't setup to show extensions, you won't see the difference

---------- Post added 08-09-14 at 23:02 ----------

And regarding your level, if you press INFO twice you should be able to select a different info screen for the camera. Or turn it off completely
08-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
fwdc220b.bin & fwdc220b.bin.CPGZ are the two files I have on the card. I am thinking that the problem may be other, the camera is always showing the electronic level.

---------- Post added 08-09-14 at 08:38 PM ----------

Thanks, I solved the display problem. I also solved the firmware. However, while the NOW LOADING sign was showing, I was distracted for a second and did not notice exactly if the COMPLETE signs came out. It is about 10 minutes since the display is black. Should I turn the camera down? How long does it take the whole firmware update?

Never mind. I turned it off after 10 minutes, and restarted and all is right! OK. Thanks, Pepe

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 08-10-2014 at 09:52 PM.
08-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K-5 II the Complete sign displays until you turn off the camera. Another thing I'm not sure what camera you are using, but a firmware download should not last 10 minutes.
08-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am using the K-3, and the whole thing lasted about 2 minutes. I waited about ten to turn the camera off. It worked. All is fine.
08-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I waited about ten to turn the camera off
Bet that was the longest 10 minutes ever.