Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-50 won't shut off or function without battery removal

This has happened a few times now mainly on shutter speed on any dial selection from manual,auto scene ect I will take a round of photos then it just stops everything freezes and it isn't the info loading to the card either. I will click the dial to off but all of the information will stay on the back of the screen such as ISO etc as when it is on the only thing that fixes it is removing the batteries and reinserting them and off it goes as normal again. I have been using a wi-fi card and an extreme pro anyone else suffered this problem.

08-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Freezes are normal but it's rare for them to happen consistently.

Freezes are more likely when your battery voltage is low: and eye-fi cards do contribute to this. Are you using AA's or a third-party battery?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Freezes are normal but it's rare for them to happen consistently.

Freezes are more likely when your battery voltage is low: and eye-fi cards do contribute to this. Are you using AA's or a third-party battery?
Thanks Adam
I bought it back in May so hoping it is on the latest firmware I use antelopes AA's I find that I get more shots with them. One time out of the three the battery has been low I have my wifi turned to off while using the camera to slow the drain down but in saying they are rare I use my camera a lot on a daily basis it has more times out of the bag than in so may be why I am noticing it frequently.
08-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK new cameras ship with the original firmware, not the current version. You should verify the firmware version you have.

08-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
AFAIK new cameras ship with the original firmware, not the current version. You should verify the firmware version you have.
Ok just checked version 1 so guess I will do a version update
08-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is a known issue that sounds similar to your problem. Users experience full system freeze, generally with the mirror in the up position. Ignore the thread title and references to "mirror flop/flap".

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/265278-pentax-k50-mirror-flopping.html

The thread is a bit confused, but resolution involved sending the camera for service and replacement of a component (diaphragm control block).

Your camera is still on warranty. I would suggest that Pentax support would be a good option at this point.

Steve
08-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a known issue that sounds similar to your problem. Users experience full system freeze, generally with the mirror in the up position. Ignore the thread title and references to "mirror flop/flap".

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/265278-pentax-k50-mirror-flopping.html

The thread is a bit confused, but resolution involved sending the camera for service and replacement of a component (diaphragm control block).

Your camera is still on warranty. I would suggest that Pentax support would be a good option at this point.

Steve
Hi Steve thanks so much for replying. The problem is similar but not quiet the same the thing that makes me feel it is a different issue is the display does not flash as in the video it is frozen and also no definite clink of the mirror being stuck but maybe it does need to go in to be checked. I will try the upgrade and see how I go. It behaves for all the life like a camera trying to upload data but everything is frozen and it just doesn't turn off when switched to off. The screen is still displaying data in both the eye piece and the LIve View. While it has done it to me several times I bet money if I send it in it won't do it lol story of my life. I have a friend wanting to get into DSLRs I must say nearly tempted to send her the mirror less way.

08-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
Hi Steve thanks so much for replying. The problem is similar but not quiet the same the thing that makes me feel it is a different issue is the display does not flash as in the video it is frozen and also no definite clink of the mirror being stuck but maybe it does need to go in to be checked. I will try the upgrade and see how I go. It behaves for all the life like a camera trying to upload data but everything is frozen and it just doesn't turn off when switched to off. The screen is still displaying data in both the eye piece and the LIve View. While it has done it to me several times I bet money if I send it in it won't do it lol story of my life. I have a friend wanting to get into DSLRs I must say nearly tempted to send her the mirror less way.
Call Pentax. While your symptoms may not the the same, they may still be able to help.

Stve
08-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Call Pentax. While your symptoms may not the the same, they may still be able to help.

Stve
Hi Steve did what you suggested they said without looking it probably is an electronics problem and needs to be sent back for a look so boxed up she goes and back to looking for a back up sigh
08-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I hope they are able to fix it better than new for you.

Steve
08-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope they are able to fix it better than new for you.

Steve
Thanks Steve the irony is it wasn't so annoying that I needed to do something but as was pointed out if it is electronic well one day after I pull the battery out to turn it off it may not turn back on and that would be annoying . Thanks again for your kind advice much appreciated.