Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huffleur Quote
Crewl1 Nomadkng thanks for the replies. Would like to see pictures taken with a K3 without being messed with as they come from the camera for quality . You here the sales pitch ,it's nice to here and see results form owners.Should I buy body only and choose lenses?
Really, this won't matter too much either - as you will have to trust the photographer nailed exposure etc. Otherwise, the RAW files give you so much ability to adjust parameters the output (aka the print) is the thing which matters. I've seen very dark images I obviously underexposed but in Lightroom these turned into perfectly usable images. On the other hand, if you nail focus and exposure those images will be even better. The camera body is an extremely powerful tool, and I doubt many of us fully exploit all its options.

If I were buying a K3 today and had no lenses, I'd probably buy an 18-135 kit. That lens will give you a great all-weather combination. If you're dissatisfied with the lens, you can sell it for $350 later. Then I'd consider what I want to do - birding etc, look for a long zoom or prime. Insect macro - get at 100mm macro. Portraits, get the DA50 1.8 or one of the limited primes. I got a DA 21mm a couple months ago and I really like it for walkaround in close quarters. There are some good bargain primes, that DA50 and DA35 which will give you good optics at a reduced price (with reduced features, but the camera takes care of that).

08-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Thanks for that about glass . I still could not decide K-3 or Nikon 7100. Went to local shop tried both again . What nailed it for me was the build quality of the K-3 and the coloured screens and friendly layout.The other consideration was price of glass . The Nikon 7100 did not feel right in my hands and I did not like the buttons . K-3 is the winner. I will let you know how I get on .