Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

K30 metering problem?

My K30 has suddenly started underexposing by about 4 stops. I'm not clear whether I've set something, but if so I've no idea what - it's not exposure compensation, which is too obvious.

Comparing with my K110D, the meter reading seems about right, but to get a decent picture recorded I need to set exposure compensation to +4. I was using AA batteries when this started, but I've swapped back to the Pentax battery with no difference.

I'm using the standard zoom which is, as above, working with my K110D.

Any thoughts?

08-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try in Av mode with the lens set to full open. Confirm that the lens does not stop down at exposure time by looking into the lens from the front.

Steve
08-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by MEtoK110D Quote
My K30 has suddenly started underexposing by about 4 stops. I'm not clear whether I've set something, but if so I've no idea what - it's not exposure compensation, which is too obvious.

Comparing with my K110D, the meter reading seems about right, but to get a decent picture recorded I need to set exposure compensation to +4. I was using AA batteries when this started, but I've swapped back to the Pentax battery with no difference.

I'm using the standard zoom which is, as above, working with my K110D.

Any thoughts?
I had the problem. At the suggestion of a forum member responding to an earlier post about the issue, I wiped my lens mount and contacts and removed a surprising amount of grime! The problem hasn't recurred.
08-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
inexorable - tried that, thanks. Even tried some gentle application of a contact-cleaning pencil (being careful about which way up I held the camera/lens and where any dust might go). No difference.

stevebrot - that seems to be it. I put the camera on manual to get an exposure of seconds, so I could see easily. With the lens set to wide open, it stops down. I compared the same lens on my K110D to be sure, and it was fine. Any suggestions what this could mean?

08-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Any suggestions what this could mean?
It means that the mechanism that controls the stop-down is not functioning properly (defective) and is always doing full stop-down even when you have indicated otherwise. If you are still on warranty, this should be covered. If not...

Steve
08-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
I've dropped a line to Park Cameras (where I bought the body). I'd assume it's out of warranty - I'll check, but I've had it nearly two years. Only 2800 actuations, so pretty light use.

Thanks for the advice, anyway.
08-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Please read this thread. Your camera may have the same problem.

Note that the thread is about a K10D. The behavior of the K-30 is slightly different. See this post.

08-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Please read this thread. Your camera may have the same problem.
Probably similar. I can't say for sure (didn't ask), but I believe the OP for this thread has a bright viewfinder image, but the lens stops down inappropriately for exposure.

Steve
08-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks both.

stevebrot - it's correct that I have a bright viewfinder image (as normal, as far as I can tell), but the camera stops down inappropriately for exposure. Bit hard to say whether the error is in aperture, shutter speed or both.

SOldBear - I've been through that thread and tried to work out the key points. I could dig out an old film lens with an A setting, but I have not done so thus far.

Unlike the OP in that thread, I do not have a dark viewfinder (except in optical preview, when it's expected). I can see through the lens when looking through the camera in reverse, as described by JeffJS. Performing SOldBear's test on the actuator, there is (substantial) spring resistance. As noted, optical preview works as I'd expect; I set for a very small aperture on purpose, and in preview the viewfinder went quite dark.

Let me know if I've missed anything significant.
08-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update, MEtoK110D. If you don't have a dark viewfinder, it's not that problem then.
08-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Bit hard to say whether the error is in aperture, shutter speed or both.
The error is in the aperture actuator mechanism. It is driven by a stepping motor and either the motor itself is bad or the controller that tells it how far to step. The repair will be expensive, but quite a bit less than a replacement camera.

Steve
08-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks. Any special recommendations on repairers? My first thought is to take it back to where I bought it which, as above, is Park Cameras. I'm in North Herts, UK.
08-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ricoh's official service center?

Service Support Centre - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

Steve
08-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

Original Poster
I've shown the camera to Park. They have pointed out that it works in live view, but not when I use the viewfinder. Any impact on diagnosis?
08-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've shown the camera to Park. They have pointed out that it works in live view, but not when I use the viewfinder. Any impact on diagnosis?
The two systems have a different sequence. The fact that the camera works fine in one mode and not the other is not pertinent.

Steve