Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Memory Card Issue Pentax K-50

Hi !!!

I purchased a K-50 about a month ago and I installed a Sandisk Pixtor 64gb Memory card in it - it worked -- never formatted it because I was not aware it had to be formatted.

It worked great !!! This morning my girl took out the memory card and downloaded all the pics to her mac book pro -- put the card back in the camera and it gave me a "Memory Card Not Formatted" message on the screen - i tried to turn the camera on and off re-installed the memory card a few times wouldn't work.

3 hours later we downloaded all the pictures to her mac book pro ( they were all still there ) then I put the memory card back in the camera and it works fine -- have not gotten that message and I even downloaded the files to my PC and the card works in the camera again.

since the camera is 3 weeks old I want to make sure it's now a bum camera - any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks

Zoomer

08-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's probably nothing wrong with the camera. I'd say it's the mac's fault.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd say it's the mac's fault.
I am with Adam. There was a rash of that kind of problem a few months back. The cause is difficult to describe, but involves a mix of incompatible file systems due to the Mac having done a write to the card when it was mounted. The fix involves reformatting the card with the formatting software from the SD Association Web site:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-10-2014 at 06:50 PM.
08-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Format the card in the camera and you should not have any problems.

08-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Format the card in the camera and you should not have any problems.
The camera only does a shallow format and will not reinitialize the file system. It may do the trick and may not. The big question in my mind is whether it is still read as a 64GB card.

Steve
08-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The camera only does a shallow format and will not reinitialize the file system. It may do the trick and may not. The big question in my mind is whether it is still read as a 64GB card.

Steve
The OP has never formatted the card, unless the Mac automatically formatted it, then the SD Assoc. formatting may be needed. Macs can do some strange things with removable media sometimes.
08-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the info !!!

Should I reformat the card in the camera or on a PC computer there seems to be some discrepancy here !!!

Thanks again !!!

Michael