Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What gear to pick up next?

Hi all!

Long timer lurker, first post. Hoping you guys can help me decide.

I've had my 40mm Limited almost permanently attached since I bought it last August, but I've been feeling some serious gear addiction.

I'm loving the 40 (took this the other day) for landscapes and street photography. I'm not sure whether to pick up more Limiteds or just buy the DA* twins (16-50, 50-135). The latter seem to actually be cheaper than buying four more lenses; I like the weather sealing because I plan to go to Burning Man at some point and Seattle is frequently rainy, but I like light and sharp lenses too.

I do feel like I miss some shots running with just a 40mm -either the field of view is too narrow, the shot isn't tight enough for a portrait, or the minimum focusing distance is too long- but I'm not sure what to purchase.

Would my money be better spent on accessories? I've had my eye on the MeFOTO RoadTrip, the Clik Elite Probody Sport, and various filters (IR, ND, Polarising), though I could use a Speedlite, too. There are unlimited ways to spend a limited amount of money, what should I do?

Thanks everyone! I've been having a lot of fun with photography, and it's great to find a community that shares my interest.

08-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I value small and light very highly. It's also easier to get people to agree to be photographed when your lens and camera is smaller. Something about big lenses irritates people - it's too much pressure maybe.

Small, light and unbeatable good fun - 15 limited.

Small, light, tough and WR - 18-135.
I've been pleasantly surprised by this lens. Not much bigger than the 18-55, but much better. Lens reviewers complain about some corner softness, but in my opinion, photos that are IN FOCUS with a kit lens are always preferable to OUT OF FOCUS with an exotic lens. Bokeh is quite good for a zoom. I think Pentax concentrated on good bokeh and good autofocus with this lens.

If you need f2.8, then obviously, small and light have to be forgotten...
08-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot depends on whether you prefer small and light kit (especially going to be travelling a lot) and how often you think you might need WR. If size + weight are not particularly important then the DA* zooms may be the way to go.

I don't have any any limiteds (although I have a FA 35 f2 thats on my camera a lot and is fairly compact), but I can certainly see the appeal for a quality lightweight kit.
I agree with calsan that the DA 18-135 is brilliant for the occasion WR need and when travelling light. Mine exceeded my expectations (especially considering some of the reviews) but don't expect prime like corner to corner sharpness over the whole zoom range (> 85mm corner sharpness is pretty poor but it does not stop it catching the occasional good shot in that zone).
08-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have the "DA* twins" and a K-3; couple of things:
1) it depends on the definition of "small and light". I just weighted the set and my photo bag - a bit over 3 kilos. not exactly light, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.
2) I'm probably missing a lot, but I actually don't feel I need limiteds. Well, maybe FA77 for occasional portrait, but apart from that.. not really. I'd rather spend $$ on the 1.4xTC. 50-135 is officially deemed "almost as good as primes" (perhaps regular primes, not limiteds), 16-50 tends to be love or hate sometimes, I really like mine.
all in all, I have a set of gear that is not limiting me in any way. any unsuccessful image is because my own lack of experience and my mistakes; that's a good feeling.

edit - that last statement may not be entirely true, since I'm planning towards the TC. And DA*300. and then it's going to be really not limiting. well, maybe I'd need.. no. although.. ugh.
anyways . it's possible it will never end.

08-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, the 50-135mm (my brother got) is beauty and not big nor heavy.
08-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

DA Limiteds take up little room. Although I am selling off some of them (keeping the 15) taking 4 of them and the fisheye out for the day in my small bag was nice. I also prefer screw-drive over SDM, and as I'm in So California, WR is not so important.