Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

K-r Constant grainy, blurry, poor quality pictures.

Hi Everyone,

I own a Pentax K-r, and am using the standard 18-55 lens.

My camera is taking terrible, grainy, blurred, poor quality shots. I have re-set the camera settings and then tried changing lots of the settings to improve the quality - but no luck!

It doesn't seem to matter if the shots are inside / outside / high light or low light.

What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone give me some ideas?

Photos taken this week:
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/LILYoffmyspace/IMGP9523.jpg
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/LILYoffmyspace/ForEmma.jpg

Video taken yesterday:
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/LILYoffmyspace/darkened.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the EXIF from that picture your ISO is 12800 which is why it is grainy. I rarely shoot at anything over ISO 400 for best quality, maybe 1600 if I just want a quick shot and I'm not worried too much about quality.

Grain (or noise as it is called in digital) has an inverse relationship with ISO. The higher the ISO the more noise.

I've no idea how much experience you have but I suspect you are using the camera in "auto" mode and allowing the camera to select all the settings? If so, it will select a safe setting that gives you an 'acceptable' image but not always the best.

Put the camera in Av mode, set the aperture to f/8, and the ISO to 100 or 200. Take a picture of something that is well lit. See if the image quality improves.
08-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the other poster has said without knowing your experience, the settings you have used from the Exif info are Landscape Mode, ISO12800, shutter speed 1/1000 and F14 aperture. White balance is set to Auto and Pentax cameras are generally good at getting the white balance correct on Auto.

That scene in good light using AV mode I would initially set f8/ f10 and make sure ISO is down around 100/200 and the shutter speed will end up being probably 1/100 - 1/250 as the camera will Auto set the shutter speed.

When in doubt you can always use P mode - see what settings the camera has selected. And then using AV play around with f stops to see the differences.

And another thing - never change "ALL" of the settings at once until you know exactly what to do - do one at a time - take a photo and then try another change - take another photo. Its Digital so it doesn't cost $$$ to play around.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Last edited by kev.pride; 08-11-2014 at 06:59 PM.
08-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It isn't the camera that makes the pictures bad, it's the orders you give it.

One good start is to read this page so you understand what the settings do: Basic Photo Tips: Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO - photo.net
Once you get the basics figured out you will find the correct settings.

08-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LilyLane Quote
K-r Constant grainy, blurry, poor quality pictures
Do come back to us and let us now how you get on, once you've adjusted the settings to as has bee suggested here.