Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Focus gets "stuck"

Ever since I received my K5 a year or so ago, I've had occasional problems with the AF that span across several lenses.

It's like the camera picks a focal spot and then won't leave it. If I refocus the lens manually or point it at something closer or further, the camera doesn't respond. Sometimes hitting the AF button will wake it up and make it refocus where holding the shutter release halfway won't, but usually nothing will fix it except turning the camera off and on again.

I've noticed the behavior with my DA* lenses (16-50, 50-135, 60-250) and I'm 95% sure with my Tamron 28-75. I forget if I've seen it with the wide angle lenses - they tend to be in focus most of the time anyway.

Has anyone run across this before? Any idea why it's doing it or if there's something I can do to fix it without sending the camera in?

It doesn't happen terribly often, but it's really annoying when it does.

Last edited by narual; 08-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
08-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I've noticed the behavior with my DA* lenses (16-50, 50-135, 60-250)
If it happens only on SDM lenses, and it looks like you are not 100% certain it does not, then I would take a look at the SDM contacts and make sure they are bright and shiny and aligned properly. Not sure if you could really tell if they were off or not but if they do look off then you have your answer. Try buffing them with a micro fiber cloth.

If it happens on screwdrive lenses as well, then I have no idea.
08-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My 50-135 was converted to screw drive when I first got it and I noticed it then. I just got it back from CRIS and now it's SDM and freshly serviced... same problem. But I'll see if I can't polish up the contacts on the body side, thanks
08-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #4

In what AF mode is your camera (continous or single)?
If you are on single mode and if you hold shutter relese button half way,when you get AF confirmation and keep holding button you can move around but AF will stay locked on that spot. If you are in continous mode AF should correct focus while you are moveing.
With K5 I strongly suggest you stay on single mode because continous is really not good.
I hope you understand what I mean....

08-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Ever since I received my K5 a year or so ago, I've had occasional problems with the AF that span across several lenses.

It's like the camera picks a focal spot and then won't leave it. If I refocus the lens manually or point it at something closer or further, the camera doesn't respond. Sometimes hitting the AF button will wake it up and make it refocus where holding the shutter release halfway won't, but usually nothing will fix it except turning the camera off and on again.

I've noticed the behavior with my DA* lenses (16-50, 50-135, 60-250) and I'm 95% sure with my Tamron 28-75. I forget if I've seen it with the wide angle lenses - they tend to be in focus most of the time anyway.

Has anyone run across this before? Any idea why it's doing it or if there's something I can do to fix it without sending the camera in?

It doesn't happen terribly often, but it's really annoying when it does.
One problem you will have if you send it in is that they will not be able to duplicate the issue since it is sporadic.
Is your firmware up to date?
has the camera been dropped or mishandled?
Is there any play between the body and lens?
Check that the mount screws are tight on the body, if it is an older k-5 it may need things re-adjusted.
08-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I usually use single AF mode. Switching to continuous doesn't fix the problem -- it seems to think it's *always* in focus. It's nothing to do with me not taking my finger off the button, either. I could take dozens of slightly out of focus photos before I try to focus on something closer or farther that makes me realize that the camera isn't focusing.

I know I applied the firmware to support the WR flashes. If there's been an update since then I can't recall offhand if I applied it or not. It's never been dropped (that I'm aware of, of course -- I purchased it used). Everything seems tight, including the lens connection to the body.

And like I said, shutting the camera off and on again fixes the problem, once I notice it. It's a lot harder to notice using the SDM rather than the screw mount conversion. With the screw mount I'd expect to hear a little bit of focusing so I could tell very quickly when it wasn't working right.

And yes, it's very sporadic. If it's going to happen, it might happen 4-5 times while I'm out shooting; but most times I'm out shooting it doesn't happen at all.