Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SEL focus points

I think that I have over thought this one....

Using the select focus point on a K5, how large is the focus area and does aperture come into the equation? (being shadow or deep).

Taking pictures of people, would you use select focus point or let the camera try to find their faces to have them all in focus.

08-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dof is generally something the photographer has to worry about. However, you can select the depth program line, which will do its best to select smaller aperture settings.

I don't believe the k5 has face detection, certainly not through the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture does not play a part when it comes to focusing points(as far as I know). You will probably have to look at some technical papers about the K5 to find out how wide the area around each focusing point is. Usually it is about as large as the circle in the middle of the viewfinder. So it depends a lot on how close you are to your subject. If you are too close chances are only a small portion of your subject will be in focus. Not sure about the K-5 but the K-5 II has face-detection only in Live View. When you select a focusing point place it where you think the most important part of your subject is going to be and fire away !