Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

MG Repair- Release Button Falls Out

Hi, Everyone.I am repairing my uncle's MG, which had a stuck mirror due to light seal decay. I ordered the foam inserts from Micro Tools, and they are on the way. Now, however, as I am cleaning the rest of the camera I have a different problem that I can't find any information on. The silver "donut" in the Shutter Release Button keeps falling out. I didn't remove any screws, pins, clips, etc. After doing many K1000 rebuilds over the past few years, very seldom does a release button have to be disassembled even when removing the entire top plate. But this little booger is more than just aesthetically different from a K series. What secures this component to the rest of the release? There seems to be no Service Manual on the MG anywhere on the interweb.
NOTE:
I realize that the MG is a waste of time in a world full of $20 ME Supers and K1000s on Ebay, but my uncle is dear to me. I've been a semi-pro photographer for 10 years and it wasn't until a funeral the other day that he even mentioned he "used to take GOOD pictures" 20 years ago with his favorite Pentax. I can't believe how clean this thing is, and it is clear that he feels confident exposing film with This Camera in his hands. That's awesome to me, after 35 years we have something to share. Replacing this camera is out of the question, so please don't suggest that as a solution.
Thanks!

08-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This page and its subpages detail, with pictures, a shutter repair. It might have what you are looking for. (is the circlip missing ?)
Pentax MG repair 1
08-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Bob, for the reply. Actually, over the past couple of days I have been directed to that page a few dozen times. With the image that shows the five components of the release button assembly, I do have all of the pictured components but there was still some question about the depth of the bronze piece. The one on the camera I am working on almost appears as though it has broken off of the piece that it rests upon. The only other webpage I could find that referenced this piece as being prone to "pop out" stated that this element was "free-floating," which insinuates that it is married to the assembly in a haphazard kind of way- particularly after all of these years. The puzzle for me was that the depth of the funnel shaped core of the the bottom of the bronze element is not deep enough or positioned such that the circlip could hold it in place. Considering the overwhelming majority of the Pentax world seems to regard the MG as the "black sheep" of the family, it is one of the very few bodies that has little to no Service and Repair information which includes an actual schematic- let alone actual Service Manuals. Most of the info out there in webland seems to be text based, and almost infallibly transitions to the MX or ME as a reference point. Albeit relevant to point out that the MX and ME are of the same family and time period in regard to most of the hardware and functional bits, the external components of the actual release button layout of the MG is not the same as the others. After fiddling and thinking practically, I think I have solved the problem. As for now, I have moved on to light sealing and shining her up. Thanks, again.