Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

SF1n pop up flash not working

I am assuming my sf1n pop up flash has a burned out light bulb. But the flash cover lens looks like it will break off if I continue trying to pry or slide it off. I managed to get the pop up part to come off its hinges but there's no screws to remove to gat access or any opening allowing me to get at the bulb. I'm assuming it can be replaced. Let me know if there is in fact no way to replace the bulb.

08-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its not a bulb its a xenon flash tube an altogether different thing, you wont find one down at the hardware store.

Its a disassembly almost without a shadow of a doubt, I believe you need a set of tools and a repair manual. Other contributors may help I sadly cannot other than to suggest you stop prizing bits apart and either take it to a repair shop or get all the tools and manuals and parts before going any further.
08-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Probably not really worth the effort to fix it, and if you want to fix it yourself, you would be better off with a parts body. But then, instead of shopping around for a parts body, you can easily find any one of these film bodies from that era, in good working order, for quite cheap.

Some people ask a ridiculous amount of money for old film cameras, but with the price of digital cameras getting so cheap, film cameras really aren't worth that much. You just have to be patient. I have picked up a lot of film bodies (including an SF10) including lenses, film and other accessories, usually less than $50, mostly just because I was curious about something in the bundle.

Then there are the cameras like the MZ-30 or ZX-7. They are even lighter-weight than the SF-series, some would say worse build quality but they feel nice to me. They have plastic gears inside that tend to strip, so best to consider those as nearly disposable cameras.

Good luck!
08-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
ts not a bulb its a xenon flash tube an altogether different thing, you wont find one down at the hardware store
Not only that, but the xenon tube is triggered by very high voltage - poking around in there with your fingers can be lethal.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could *try* to substitute a xenon flash tube from a discarded flash unit. Most of the tubes are interchangeable electrically, but finding the right shape tube to physically fit can be a challenge.

If you attempt this, be absolutely sure to discharge the high votage capacitor that's hiding nearby!

08-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
SF!n flash problem.

Thanks you all. I'm being told it could be a capacitor or a problem on the circuit board too. I'm assuming its the capacitor that charges up to zap the xenon tube when the shutter release button is depressed all the way down. This may end up being my parts camera. I just picked up a third SF1N used with a Pentax SMC 28-80 zoom lens. It was 14.99 + 10.00 shipping. Can't beat $25.00 for a camera with a good reputation and with so many features that would only be matched with a more expensive digital camera. Plus this is the camera I learned on so it will be easier to teach the kids how to use a camera I'm already familiar with. Plus at $25.00 I'm not afraid to let a 10 and 13 year old touch it.