Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

There are pentax lenses for aps sensor?

Hi, i have a question that could be a little silly. I'm want to buy a pentax camera, a k-50 or a k-5ii if my wallet can handle it. Long story short, canon has EFS and EF format, nikon has DX and FX format, then i know which lenses are for aps-c and which lenses are for full frame sensor. In pentax i cant realize if there are some for aps-c and some for FF, for now i only see lenses made for FF sensor that will be putted in aps bodies. Have pentax a line of lenses made for his aps.c sensor or all of them are made for an unexistent Full frame body?

Thanks for the help...

08-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any current lens in production by Pentax will work on aps-c Pentax bodies. In fact, any K-mount lens or m42 lens that Pentax or Asahi ever produced will.
08-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All Pentax lens with the 'DA' designation are for APS-C. Some of them will also work on FF. All of the other lenses = M, A, F, & FA will work on both FF and APS-C.

Essentially you can buy any lens Pentax ever made and it will work on a new camera. Including the vintage M42 Takumars although they will need an adapter.
08-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The difference between "full frame" and "APSC" lenes is only that the projected image circle is slightly smaller for the APSC, because the sensor is smaller. In theory. In practice, even crop lenses often project an image circle large enough for a full frame sensor (or classic film). There is no other difference - its a marketing ploy
Also, keep in mind that the focal length is a lens property and doesn't depend on the camera. A 50mm full frame and 50mm crop lens will have the same field of view on your crop camera. But if you put them on a full frame camera, the crop lens might have darker edges.
The field of view (or angle of view) depends on the focal length and sensor size. But the focal length itself is independent of sensor size. So don't buy a 200mm full frame lens expecting it to give you a different field of view than your 200mm crop lens.

Also, all Pentax DSLRs at the moment are crop sensor. And all DA lenses are "made for DSLRs", so they fit perfectly. The FA lenses are "full frame" and made to work with film, but these will also work on your camera. As will F series and older. All K-mount lenses will work on your camera, but if they were made before AF was invented, they won't have AF (duh. But! You can use catch in focus, a nifty feature on Pentax cameras that gives you something similar to AF with manual lenses). Just beware a couple old lenses that have the so-called Ricoh pin. Usually not a problem, but if you buy an old lens and it has an odd pin on the mount, search the forums first.
The best thing about Pentax is that the K-mount is so stable and you can use really nice old lenses on it. Some deliver top quality at a great, low price.

08-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax only markets 4 lenses as being FF compatible. The Three Amigos (or Holy Trinity), the FA Limiteds. And the D FA 100mm Macro. There is some debate as to whether the FA 50/1.4 is a current Rocoh product or not. All other Pentax lenses, the DA, DA Limited, and DA* series are marketed as APS-C compatible only.
08-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sjaramillovilla Quote
Hi, i have a question that could be a little silly. I'm want to buy a pentax camera, a k-50 or a k-5ii if my wallet can handle it. Long story short, canon has EFS and EF format, nikon has DX and FX format, then i know which lenses are for aps-c and which lenses are for full frame sensor. In pentax i cant realize if there are some for aps-c and some for FF, for now i only see lenses made for FF sensor that will be putted in aps bodies. Have pentax a line of lenses made for his aps.c sensor or all of them are made for an unexistent Full frame body?

Thanks for the help...
Generally speaking, DA is for APS-C and everything else is for full-frame. Almost all current lenses are DA.

In our lens database, there's an icon indicating the format that each lens covers:
All Current K-Mount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Some DA lenses, such as the DA 40mm or DA* 200mm/300mm actually cover full-frame properly, but they're still marketed as APS-C only lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have pentax a line of lenses made for his aps.c sensor or all of them are made for an unexistent Full frame body?
The full-frame Pentax bodies have been around for many decades and continue to be used today. They're called 35mm SLRs.
08-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Gotta give 'em some love, O_Jim!

08-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In general longer Da lenses will compatible with a future FF camera although they may need a different lens hood.
Most Da wide angle lenses on the other hand (less than 30mm) are designed with a smaller aps-c image circle to save weight and are not compatible. (ie 14, 15, 21, most WA zooms.)
There is a thread in a lens section where the DA lenses have been used on a pentax FF film camera to check image circle/vignetting.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html
There is also a thread in lens clubs for pentax lenses on FF (ie sony) bodies but its not very big!

Last edited by robjmitchell; 08-15-2014 at 07:47 PM.
08-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #10
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax only markets 4 lenses as being FF compatible. The Three Amigos (or Holy Trinity), the FA Limiteds. And the D FA 100mm Macro. There is some debate as to whether the FA 50/1.4 is a current Rocoh product or not. All other Pentax lenses, the DA, DA Limited, and DA* series are marketed as APS-C compatible only.
D-FA 50mm Macro is another lens that is full frame lens and is still currently in production.

Most of the current lenses currently in production are DA or DA* and designed for APS-C use. As such they are more compact/lighter/cheaper than they would be for full frame use in many cases. There are a few FA and D-FA lenses that Ricoh vouches for to cover the full frame but they will work fine on an APS-C body. If the OP's concern is whether the lenses will work on APS-C, he/she doesn't have to worry. If the concern is whether they will work on a hypothetical full frame body or film, he/she has to be more careful and look at the various threads on the subject.
08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you so much to all of you!!!

What i understood from you is, that every pentax lens will fit perfectly with a aps sensor. So if i buy a pentax k-5ii and a Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL lens, i actually have a 35mm lens or a (35mm x 1.5(crop factor))= 52.5mm lens?
08-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know exactly what your asking and why and its been answered already but some advice can be confusing or seem incomplete so ill add my view.

Some manufacturers have 2 ranges of lens, and the lenses in those ranges are designed for a particular lens mount.

If you put the wrong lens on a mount it either wont work or it could damage the camera,

You quite rightly want to find out if pentax has any issues particularly as they don't say anything about different mounts or formats APSC or FF.

Well pentax don't make a FF, they only make APSC thats why there isn't any mention of APSC or FF in the lens range. All pentax lenses will work on any pentax cameras. But it goes further.

When pentax designed the APSC cameras they used the mount that existed on their FF film cameras, and all the connections. This meant that any existing pentax lens and any future pentax lens would work correctly on any APSC pentax camera. But it goes further.

Because the pentax k-mount had been in use for a long time and the connections were all adopted into the APSC cameras exactly and without change, all the legacy lenses from any manufacturer that ever fitter a pentax k-mount work perfectly on APSC pentax cameras. The only problem was with some ricoh lenses that can get stuck because of a pin on the lens falling into a hole on the mount. This is well documented but do ask about it if you think of buying a ricoh lens.

So all the pentax APSC cameras can use any pentax k-mount lens. With the oldest lenses that lack some functions of modern lenses you just have to live without those functions, but all the bits on the lens work fine.

The cameras will even work well with all the ancient m42 screw mount lenses, that were made from 1955 onwards, literally millions of cheap lenses, many of great quality, as long as you buy a cheap adapter for them.

You really couldn't choose better than pentax for compatibility.
08-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What i understood from you is, that every pentax lens will fit perfectly with a aps sensor. So if i buy a pentax k-5ii and a Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL lens, i actually have a 35mm lens or a (35mm x 1.5(crop factor))= 52.5mm lens?
I will take a try at explaining this though I'm sure someone with a better grasp of the technical details will also reply. To answer your question: NO, if you buy a 35mm lens you have a 35mm lens. The crop factor has nothing to do with the focal length. The difference between a 35mm lens designed only for APS-C and a 35mm lens that is designed for a FF sensor is that the APS-C only lens will not cover the entire area of a FF sensor. If you are going back and forth from film to APS-C sensor then there is a difference in how things will look through that 35mm lens, and that is due to the crop factor. If you only shoot APS-C then forget you ever heard of 'crop factor', just look through the view finder and shoot what you see.

So if you are intending to shoot only APS-C, buy any lens you want, as long as it says Pentax on it , it will work. If you are worrying about a future FF camera and want your lenses to work there as well things are a lot harder. As noted above some Pentax lenses do work on FF but until Pentax releases such a camera we are only speculating which ones will work correctly.
08-16-2014, 12:57 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I will take a try at explaining this though I'm sure someone with a better grasp of the technical details will also reply. To answer your question: NO, if you buy a 35mm lens you have a 35mm lens. The crop factor has nothing to do with the focal length. The difference between a 35mm lens designed only for APS-C and a 35mm lens that is designed for a FF sensor is that the APS-C only lens will not cover the entire area of a FF sensor. If you are going back and forth from film to APS-C sensor then there is a difference in how things will look through that 35mm lens, and that is due to the crop factor. If you only shoot APS-C then forget you ever heard of 'crop factor', just look through the view finder and shoot what you see.

So if you are intending to shoot only APS-C, buy any lens you want, as long as it says Pentax on it , it will work. If you are worrying about a future FF camera and want your lenses to work there as well things are a lot harder. As noted above some Pentax lenses do work on FF but until Pentax releases such a camera we are only speculating which ones will work correctly.
Jatrax is kind of right. The focal length of a lens is property of the lens. A 28mm lens is always a 28mm lens no matter what camera you put it on.

The crop factor gives an indication of how much the sensor size chops off relative to 35mm film camera. The changes the effective field of view; the crop factor lets you calculate the focal length required on a 35mm film camera to get the field of view you are observing with your camera and lens (and calculate back again).

Example: that 28mm lens on an aps-c camera gives the same field of view as a 42mm lens on... The picture is framed the same. But, the 28mm lens is still a 28mm lens.

If could fit all the lenses in the world on a single camera then all the lenses with the same focal range would give the same field of view (colours, contrast, distortions etc would vary greatly!). But if you took one lens and put it on all the cameras in the world you'd get different field of views grouped on camera sensor size!

Should you forget about crop factor, as Jatrax suggests? I don't think so, using the crop factor to calculate equivalent field of view on a 35mm film camera is useful when discussing photography and is often used in learning resources, as they are so many different sensor sizes out there!

As for FF vs APS-c lenses. You need the lens to be able to project an image to cover the sensor... FF sensors are bigger than APS-c. Therefore there is no problem using a FF lens on an APS-C camera, but there is likely to be trying it the other way round!
08-16-2014, 01:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the others have said, focal length is focal length, regardless of the sensor size. What changes is the angle of view that focal length projects onto the sensor.

On a full frame sensor (which with Pentax currently means "an old film camera"), lenses in the 28-35mm range are moderately wide angle, but on APS-C they are "normal" lenses. Likewise a normal lens for a full frame camera (43-50mm) behaves like a short telephoto on APS-C. The same applies with Nikon, Canon, or any other manufacturer. A Nikon DX 50mm has the same focal length as an FX 50mm. The term "full frame equivalent" is used in an attempt to make this easier to understand, but I reckon it sometimes confuses the issue.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-16-2014 at 02:09 AM.