Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

K-50 back button focus

Hi All,
I recently learnt about the back button focus and am looking to enable it on my Pentax K-50 but not able to find the info on the web. I admit I havent read the manual end-to-end. The way I achieve now is, focus (half-pressing the shutter release button) and change to manual focus. Now the focus is fixed but I think this rather inconvenient (and maybe damaging to the equipment?). Does anybody know how to separate the shutter release button from focus?

TIA,
Ashok

08-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it's under the button customization menu:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I believe it's under the button customization menu:
Thanks for the tip Adam. Anybody else done this?
08-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I did on the K50 I had . It works fine, I set mine to use the AF/Ael button and the AF switch to AF-C. Then turned off the Shutter half switch so the shutter wont AF. The advantage to doing all of that is you can single press to lock your AF or continued pressing for tracking movement leaving the shutter button for image taking only, cutting back on possible rehunting. It takes a bit to remember to use the back button to AF though. Currently I use only the AF back button on my K5 lls. It's more convenient and it still has an Ael button to lock the exposure. Programming the k50 for back button you will lose that feature by setting it to the AF/Ael button however you can select the ael to lock with focus lock in the custom menu.

08-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I did on the K50 I had . It works fine, I set mine to use the AF/Ael button and the AF switch to AF-C. Then turned off the Shutter half switch so the shutter wont AF. The advantage to doing all of that is you can single press to lock your AF or continued pressing for tracking movement leaving the shutter button for image taking only, cutting back on possible rehunting. It takes a bit to remember to use the back button to AF though. Currently I use only the AF back button on my K5 lls. It's more convenient and it still has an Ael button to lock the exposure. Programming the k50 for back button you will lose that feature by setting it to the AF/Ael button however you can select the ael to lock with focus lock in the custom menu.
Thanks a lot, I will try it out and post back.
08-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to Adam and Oldbayrunner for the tips. I was able to disable AF when shutter release button is pressed and instead set AF/AE-L to focus. Steps:
Menu > 4 > Button Customization > AF/AE-L (the one without the video icon) > Enable AF2

Thats it .