Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #1

k-x kit lens suddenly dark and grainy

A few months ago I gave my husband my old k-x along with the kit lens (18-55) to play with. He called from his last trip to say that it was dark and grainy through the viewfinder, like looking through a window screen. After checking all the settings and cleaning viewfinder, etc. I decided to check another lens on the camera and the dark/grain went away...tried the 18-55 on my K-5 which I knew was working correctly and everything was dark and grainy!

Ok, so now I know it is the lens but can't figure out what is wrong with it...the connections are clean, the lens is clean, took off all filters...any ideas or suggestions?

08-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Forum Member

Is the Aperture Ring on 'A'? Sounds like the aperture blades aren't wide open when it is mounted on the camera.
08-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture control lever could be bent, just enough to miss the corresponding arm in the camera. When the parts don't engage each other, the aperture is fully stopped down all the time.

If you mount any working DA series lens on a K mount camera and watch the aperture blades from the front of the lens, they start out closed, then as you rotate the lens to mount it, they fully open. It sounds like this is not happening.

Probably your husband dropped or hit the lens and was hoping not to admit this. Like when I spun my truck 180 degrees and slid backward into a guardrail. What dent, honey?
08-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pesterle Quote
Is the Aperture Ring on 'A'? Sounds like the aperture blades aren't wide open when it is mounted on the camera.
There is no aperture ring on a DA lens.

08-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's likely some damage to the lens, or it's not fully mounted. I'd say take it off and look at the small metal lever on the back of the lens. move that lever and watch the aperture blades in the lens.