Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm keeping this lens!

Today, I walked 7 hours in a few parks with the A50/1.7 and took lots of shots. I just came home and loaded all photos into Lightroom. I started tuning W/B of all photos one by one, and stopped when I see this.

WOW. I know I'm a newbie in lens talk, but I'm confident to say that A50/1.7 is a good lens. In fact, it's the sharpest lens (incl. compact camera's lens) I've ever used. Keep in mind that this is my first day using a manual lens on the street, and I missed lots of focus.

I'm definitely keeping the lens.

08-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Well the optics sure seem to be fine

Seems like a keeper to me, hope my A-50m F2.0 that's coming in the mail will look at least nearly as good as that
08-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Well the optics sure seem to be fine

Seems like a keeper to me, hope my A-50m F2.0 that's coming in the mail will look at least nearly as good as that
Another sample shot from the camera/lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/144599-50mm-lens-club-29.html#post2916797
08-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I find the 50 f1.7 is best of the old Pentax 50s (I also have f1.2, 1.4, and 2.0). The aperture ring problem isn't surprising, as the "A" series lenses use more plastic in these areas than the older series, which is why I prefer the Pentax-M models.

08-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot, congrats on getting a good lens.
For this type of work you can just leave it in A and don't worry about getting it fixed.
Enjoy.
08-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
Moderator PEG Judges

As others have said the "A" setting is the place it needs to be on modern Pentax DSLR, I never move any of mine.
08-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
As others have said the "A" setting is the place it needs to be on modern Pentax DSLR, I never move any of mine.
The same here, though mine is resident on a Super Program film camera. If I need an aperture ring for bellows or for use on an earlier K-mount body (I have four of that vintage), I have other fast 50s...lots of other fast 50s...too many fast 50s...

Steve
08-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I'm definitely keeping the lens now. Over a hundred sample shots (in here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/126394010@N06/sets/72157646346959539/) taken on the same day showed no sign of issues with the lens in "A" position.

I didn't ask for a partial refund.

08-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Manual focusing using the stock view screen is a mess, just use the green light in the viewfinder to determine when you are exactly in focus. I believe with a manual lens you are always using the center focus point.
Like the AF system it isn't always perfect since it uses the same system as the AF lenses but just uses your hand instead of a motor and green means stop moving.

Another neat thing you probably noticed is you have way more available F stops using the camera wheel to control aperture than you would if you turned the lens ring by hand (especially in the higher ranges), so you are honestly better off never taking it out of the A setting.

And yes, quality wise you will not ever outgrow that lens.

Btw when you do decide to fix it this is the JIS set I have:
Moody Tools - Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Plastic Handle - 58-0222 - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
There are many more sets on there, though I know that set works since I took my A50 1.4 100% apart to fix an issue and re-grease it. Taking the front end apart on those and correctly reassembling it is WAY more of a PITA so don't do that part.
I don't know where to find the correct size screws for the repair in question if you choose that method which seems the most reliable way to me.
08-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Manual focusing using the stock view screen is a mess, just use the green light in the viewfinder to determine when you are exactly in focus. I believe with a manual lens you are always using the center focus point.
Like the AF system it isn't always perfect since it uses the same system as the AF lenses but just uses your hand instead of a motor and green means stop moving.

Another neat thing you probably noticed is you have way more available F stops using the camera wheel to control aperture than you would if you turned the lens ring by hand (especially in the higher ranges), so you are honestly better off never taking it out of the A setting.

And yes, quality wise you will not ever outgrow that lens.

Btw when you do decide to fix it this is the JIS set I have:
Moody Tools - Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Plastic Handle - 58-0222 - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - Amazon.com
There are many more sets on there, though I know that set works since I took my A50 1.4 100% apart to fix an issue and re-grease it. Taking the front end apart on those and correctly reassembling it is WAY more of a PITA so don't do that part.
I don't know where to find the correct size screws for the repair in question if you choose that method which seems the most reliable way to me.
Thanks for the suggestion of fixing it!

4 years of education in engineering and I learnt that if it isn't broken don't fix it XD
I'll just keep it in A for now. Again, the ring is not that broken. It isn't worth my time and another ~10 bucks or so to buy tools and fix it.