Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-A50/1.7 Aperture Ring Doesn't Go Back to "A"

Hello all,

I just received my first used lens, and I have bad news already --- the aperture ring can only rotate between f/1.7 to f/8. It doesn't go beyond f/8 and I don't want to force it.

If it's a minor issue that's fixable, I might just keep the lens instead of returning it. Could it be related to this article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/88051-pen...ng-repair.html ???

Thanks.

---------- Post added 08-19-14 at 08:40 PM ----------

Also, I noticed that the tiny black button on the aperture ring is recessed at f/1.7, but it will bump up at f/8 where the ring can't rotate more.

08-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Common issue, you found the link already and its SUPER easy to get the back of that lens off (with appropriate screwdriver) to check to see how it broke.
Worth fixing it, its a good lens.
08-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Common issue, you found the link already and its SUPER easy to get the back of that lens off (with appropriate screwdriver) to check to see how it broke.
Worth fixing it, its a good lens.
Here's the thing though -- I bought the lens from a seller on eBay, and it arrived broken. Should I return the lens and get the refund, then hunt for another lens?
I don't have a Pentax body yet -- it's arriving on Thursday
08-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would either return it or get a partial refund if you want to repair it. It's not a hard lens to find if you decided to get another one.
EDIT: Don't take it apart unless you are going to try and fix it as the pieces may not go back together the way they are supposed to until they are repaired.

08-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I would either return it or get a partial refund if you want to repair it. It's not a hard lens to find if you decided to get another one.
EDIT: Don't take it apart unless you are going to try and fix it as the pieces may not go back together the way they are supposed to until they are repaired.
Sounds like a return to me then.

I knew the lens would have an issue. It was cheaper than most A50/1.7 listed
08-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Here's the thing though -- I bought the lens from a seller on eBay, and it arrived broken. Should I return the lens and get the refund, then hunt for another lens?
I don't have a Pentax body yet -- it's arriving on Thursday
Depends on how good a deal it was whether it is worth fixing.
If it was a bargain then I would hang onto it and do the fix.
It is not that hard, I've done a couple.
One thing is to make sure you disassemble in a plastic bag so as not to lose the ball, which is spring loaded.

Edit - I attached a PDF print from an old website (Justin Pelling) that also explained the process and gives some other views to help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentax 50mm lens fix.pdf (173.0 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by crewl1; 08-19-2014 at 09:59 PM.
08-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Depends on how good a deal it was whether it is worth fixing.
If it was a bargain then I would hang onto it and do the fix.
It is not that hard, I've done a couple.
One thing is to make sure you disassemble in a plastic bag so as not to lose the ball, which is spring loaded.
That's one thing I'm not certain till I receive the body on Thursday (Hopefully, the package won't be stolen! I got work to do on Thursday...)
08-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Uh oh. This is awkwardly interesting. Below is a photo of the A50/1.7 I got:

Uhmmm...
Obviously, the aperture ring is at "A" now. Recall that the ring was prevented from going beyond f/8, and the tiny black button was raised at f/8. Just now, I pressed the button really hard and the ring decided to let me move to anywhere I want including "A". I'm not familiar with this lens, and I'm confused whether I should keep it or not. If I return the lens, I'd have to pay the shipping fee, which easily cost $10.

I fear that the jam will come back at anytime though. If I keep the ring at "A" position, what feature will I lose? I suppose I can always set the aperture at the camera body, right? (Sorry, I don't have the camera body yet. This will be my first Pentax DSLR.)

Thank you.

---------- Post added 08-20-14 at 12:28 AM ----------

* The "aperture lever" at the bayonet-side moves smoothly. ((I have no idea what the proper terminology is. :/ )

08-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

An A series lens like this should be kept on the A setting for normal use on a digital Pentax and newer film cameras so the aperture can be controlled via the body. This will give ful functionality.

For older film bodies the aperture will need to be able to physically move to the desired aperture setting.

What body did you buy to use with the lens?
08-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
An A lens should be kept on the A setting for normal use on a digital Pentax and newer film cameras so the aperture can be controlled via the body. This will give ful functionality.

For older film bodies the aperture will need to be able to physically move to the desired aperture setting.
Okee dokee! I suppose I should keep the lens once I test it out on the new K-50 then
08-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Make sure to read this thread for specific settings that you may need to make on your DSLR when using manual lenses.
With A lenses I think you just need to leave on A.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html
08-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you use the lens on non-A type extension tubes, on bellows or reversed for macro work you would need to take the lens off the "A" setting.
08-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Correct. Consider fixing if that is the intended purpose.
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest at least a partial refund from the seller. While conventional wisdom is that failure of the aperture ring will happen eventually to all A 50/1.7, there is no reason to pay full price for one where the failure has already occurred.

Steve
08-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

A partial refund seems fair if you decide to keep the lens. Even though you suspected the lens may have had problems you decision to buy may have been different if you were aware of any problems.

If you decide to DIY the repair you have to invest in JIS drivers, a suitable grease, and may be some quality epoxy like JB Weld. Unless of course you have these items already. If you are going to use screws you are going to have to scrounge for them. MicroTools or MicroFasteners should have something suitable. You could be looking at investing $20-50 for tools and supplies. Eric would probably run about the same but you'd have to contact him for a quote.

The springs keep the ring from moving into or out of the "A" setting. One spring for each direction. Jamming or stiffness in turning the ring comes about because the spring is loose and gets into places where it shouldn't be. Sometimes you can move in or out of the A setting without pressing the button.