Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200 Menus won't stay on screen

Hi Guys, A friend of mine has a K200 and has an issue where the menu screens turn off after a variable amount of time, some times 1/4 or 1/2 sec, sometimes a few secs. Very frustrating , occasionally they will remain on long enough to complete your adjustments, but mostly it switches off before any adjustments or inspection of settings can be achieved. I haven't detected any other problems and batteries good, removing and refitting batteries no help. .... anybody had similar problems

cheers
CC.

08-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It sounds like one of the buttons, i.e. the shutter half-press, might be stuck in the down position. Does any other erratic behavior help support this conclusion?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Adam a fair thought, I'm not seeing any other erratic behavior at all, takes pictures fine and you can view on screen for as long as you like, other functions that come up on the screen when viewing shots like filters, histogram, info etc all ok. just menus and the fn functions ISO etc. wont stay on screen most of the time, all the buttons seem to have a definitive tactile feel to them and all seem to preform their functions. It could be some leakage across a switch or control lines on a chip or PCB, but I'd have to open it all up to check that, just thought some one may have had the same issue.

Electronics with micro controllers in them I can't count the times I've gone in search of hardware faults only to find later that its some undocumented software issue that magically disappears with a software update, or re initialization.
08-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote

Electronics with micro controllers in them I can't count the times I've gone in search of hardware faults only to find later that its some undocumented software issue that magically disappears with a software update, or re initialization.
Speaking of that have you checked for the latest firmware? Maybe a reload will cure it. I know you can still download the update from Pentax's website as I did that for my K200D when I got it a few months ago.

08-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
Speaking of that have you checked for the latest firmware? Maybe a reload will cure it. I know you can still download the update from Pentax's website as I did that for my K200D when I got it a few months ago.
yeah that's a good point. I sort of thought that's something to try if I can't get it figured, but I maybe should do sooner than later, even reload same version might fix it, if the software/firmware is able to be changed by an update then logically its is possible to be corrupted by some event or sequence of events ( push the back button 3 times while holding down fn & info while balancing with your right leg in the air and turning clockwise)
cheers
08-20-2014, 03:13 AM   #6

just a wild guess: make shure you don't have your finger on the shutter button while you use the menu... i used to do that and the fact that the screen would randomly switch off confused the hell out of me for weeks :-)
08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just updated V1.00 to V1.01 and no change to problem

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 01:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
just a wild guess: make shure you don't have your finger on the shutter button while you use the menu... i used to do that and the fact that the screen would randomly switch off confused the hell out of me for weeks :-)
fingers are well clear of any buttons
cheers

08-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Does it happen to have a battery grip on it? I've had that happen with the battery grip shutter button switched on. Drove me crazy at first. it's real easy to bump that button.
08-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the wierdest thing - this problem only occurs with a particular lens attached (Sigma 28-90 f3.5-5.6 Macro) the problem doesn't occur with his 18-50 Sigma or 70-300 Sigma or M50 2.8 or with no lens at all attached or with any of my lense , .... what the ! ... I'll have to look into this.

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 02:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Does it happen to have a battery grip on it? I've had that happen with the battery grip shutter button switched on. Drove me crazy at first. it's real easy to bump that button.
he does have a grip but never uses it ( it came with the camera) seems like its a particular lens that causes the issue, hey I'll try that lens on my k30 and see what happens

well that lens seems ok on my K30

Last edited by Cee Cee; 08-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.
08-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Try cleaning and burnishing the contacts on that lens, and the body. If that's only happening with that lens it sounds like there may be something in the contacts. I don't know how many times I have spent hours tracing down a problem only to wind up cleaning every contact and connection to clear it.
08-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Try cleaning and burnishing the contacts on that lens, and the body. If that's only happening with that lens it sounds like there may be something in the contacts. I don't know how many times I have spent hours tracing down a problem only to wind up cleaning every contact and connection to clear it.
I tried this but didn't have any effect on the problem
cheers

there must be some electrical instability in the lens which is upsetting the K200, ... so any K200 or just this one ??? I shall try it with another K200. I'll also try with my istDS.
this is an old "late film era" cheap lens and pretty ordinary at that, so not really worth wasting time with. Besides every pawn shop in Melbourne seems to have at least one of these sitting in the window for $25 or so, if he's keen to have one of these, I'll talk him into something a bit better

thanks for the help and suggestions
cheers
08-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #12

Well I've exhausted my ideas unless for some reason the contacts on the mount are not lining up correctly with that body. But I wouldn't think that was the case if it works on another body.
08-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I've exhausted my ideas unless for some reason the contacts on the mount are not lining up correctly with that body. But I wouldn't think that was the case if it works on another body.
well guess what, that lens caused both my istDS and K20D to misbehave in the same manor, but not the K30 ! Its headed for the bin ! ......... but yet it might be interesting to know exactly what the problem is ??

cheers
08-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
well guess what, that lens caused both my istDS and K20D to misbehave in the same manor, but not the K30 ! Its headed for the bin ! ......... but yet it might be interesting to know exactly what the problem is ??

cheers
To bad your so far away. As an electronics tech I would love to tear into one of these lenses and see what makes it tick.
08-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
To bad your so far away. As an electronics tech I would love to tear into one of these lenses and see what makes it tick.
yes ... well, as a electronics tech myself I'm about to do that, but probably not today, way to busy with my regular work
cheers