Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I think you are thinking of multi flash which is not the same as high speed sync and will not work effectively at higher shutter speeds.

09-21-2014, 03:41 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
My understanding is that HSS is when the flash pulses before/during/after the exposure. Is that correct? In that case the flash does have a sort of manual HSS. Manual because you trigger the flash yourself meaning the SYNC part might not always be there.
As for damaging my DSLR, I've tested the trigger voltage and it's no where near the dangerous level.

edit:
if you have a newer pentax, don't bother with the promasters. The camera's hot shoe won't even trigger them.
They work fine on my k100 and worked on the k10/20 but my k5 won't trigger. k7/k-r seem to have the same issues.
Hi Dave. re trigger voltage. What is regarded as a high level? I've used vivitar 283 guns and had no problems, on a K200 or a K5. I was told & have read its reverse polarity that can cause damage.
Regards.
09-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has been vague about this. All their flashes are pretty low, I think less than 10 volts. The number I've read is 30 volts. The charts usually show a lot in the low voltage group and a few in the high voltage group, not many in the middle.
09-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
I've used vivitar 283 guns and had no problems, on a K200 or a K5.
You apparently benefited from the luck of the draw. Older versions of the Vivitar 283 have been measured in the excess of 250v. Newer versions as low as 6v. I would suggest that anyone considering hot shoe mounting a vintage flash measure the voltage first.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
All their flashes are pretty low, I think less than 10 volts. The number I've read is 30 volts.
That is my understanding as well, though I don't know that I would intentionally plumb that upper limit.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.