Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thinking about camera upgrade.

I love my K200D, but it suffers badly with ISO more than 400. CCD sensor is wonderful for bright day only, and I'm going to keep K200D for it.
It's great for K mount lenses, but I noticed that M42 lenses produce slightly sharper images with my Canon. Actually, all my 3 super takumars seems sharper with Canon.
however, I don't like to use Canon for manual focus lenses, Pentax is more comfortable. Plus, I already built a little collection of K mount lenses.

So, I'm thinking about buying another Pentax body in the end of this year. In-camera stabilization and focus confirmation are very attractive features.
What's is the best performer for old manual lenses from newer models? I think to spend about $400-600 either on new, or used camera.

Someone who moved from K200D without regrets, what would you recommend? The "solid" feel of 200 must have , can not give that up.
I'm thinking about K-5 or similar.

08-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In that price range I'd go for either the k5 ii or k50. Check out our reviews for differences between the two bodies

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are willing to use manual focus lenses you should consider one of the Pentax bodies which have focus peaking. That's a major step-up for manual focusing (in live view). I have used manual lenses on my K20D (and K10D) but since I got the K-01 - which has focus peaking - I'm using it almost exclusively with manual (K and M42) lenses.
As far as I know the K-30, K-50, K-500 (and of course K-3 but this is a different budget category) have focus peaking.
From these, the K-50 is closer to the size and feel of the K200D. The K-30, K-50 (and the K-3) have two control wheels, all of these bodies are weather sealed (K-500 is not). Both of the bodies (k-30, k-50) have the same sensor, with very good high iso capabilities - plus you get a ton of very good features, just look at the specifications...
Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Pentax K-30 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
08-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A new K-50 for less than $400 has got to be tempting. Bundle it with an 18-135, DA 35 and/or DA 50 rather than the kit lens(es).

Going from a K100D Super to a K-30 was a big upgrade for me. Obviously better low-light performance, better AF and better results with cropping, but lots of little things too. The separate dials for shutter speed and aperture, live view, video, even level indicator. Weather sealing. And on and on.

As for using old lenses, not sure whether the K200 has a green button for manual exposure metering, but K-30 and K-50 do. I think the K-5s do too. And focus peaking, as Caver mentioned.

On the K-30, 6400 ISO is usable. I use DxO Optics Pro to clean up the noise and it does a wonderful job.

I think you will get a lot more out of your Takumars with one of the 16Mp cameras.

08-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
If you are willing to use manual focus lenses you should consider one of the Pentax bodies which have focus peaking. That's a major step-up for manual focusing (in live view).
Focus peaking will not work for me with hand held shooting. I use live view very seldom, only with the camera on tripod, and I need reading glasses to see live view focusing. Old eyes. So, viewfinder with eyepiece magnifier is much comfortable for focusing for me.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In that price range I'd go for either the k5 ii or k50. Check out our reviews for differences between the two bodies
K5 looks more seriously, and k50 looks "plastic" on pictures. Unfortunately, there is no way to compare any Pentax cameras at store. I would not even open this thread if it would be possible to find Pentax nearby.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
As for using old lenses, not sure whether the K200 has a green button for manual exposure metering, but K-30 and K-50 do. I think the K-5s do too. And focus peaking, as Caver mentioned.
I think you will get a lot more out of your Takumars with one of the 16Mp cameras.
Yes, K200D has the green button, focus confirmation, DOF preview, top screen (I got used into it, nice to have). All that I would like to have plus low light performance. It also seems to me that crop factor somehow makes manual lenses "darker" than they should be.
Pretty much I'd like to have all K200D with good ISO.
08-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With this deal, you'd have to pick the k-5iis as your next camera. Pentax K-5 IIs with Free Grip - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com
08-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With this deal, you'd have to pick the k-5iis as your next camera.
It seems that K-5, or k-5iis is better version of K200D. I just don't see what the principal difference between all K-5 variations.

08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
It seems that K-5, or k-5iis is better version of K200D. I just don't see what the principal difference between all K-5 variations.
The K-5II has a better rear lcd and slightly improved AF compared to the K-5. The K-5 IIS has no AA (anti-aliasing) filter. This results in sharper images at the cost of increased moire in certain situations. All are a major upgrade over the K200D.

I regularly use ISOs above 3200 and don't use any third party noise reduction other than that provided by Aperture 3.
08-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-5II has a better rear lcd and slightly improved AF compared to the K-5. The K-5 IIS has no AA (anti-aliasing) filter. This results in sharper images at the cost of increased moire in certain situations. All are a major upgrade over the K200D.
Thanks. It seems that for manual lenses I will be pretty happy with any K-5-s in low light conditions. Time to start saving money for it

I checked K-5IIs group. Holy cow! Maybe, I switch to Pentax completely

Last edited by micromacro; 08-24-2014 at 11:09 AM.
08-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I upgraded from a K200 to a K5, toward the end of the K5's lifetime. The biggest differences to me are the ability to use 1 to 2 stops of higher ISO before quality deteriorates too much, and to have another stop or so of dynamic range. Those are the most significant factors. The extra controls are also helpful, so there's less fussing for things like changing ISO, as is the slightly bigger/brighter (and 100%) viewfinder image. I've not found a downside to the upgrade. I thought I'd miss the AA batteries, but my 2008/9-era AAs for the K200 are pooping out, and it's nice to not have to swap batteries so often, plus the K5 batteries are smaller and lighter. The K5 charger is awkward to travel with, though, so I got a more portable 3rd party charger.
08-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I upgraded from a K200 to a K5, toward the end of the K5's lifetime.
It's helpful to hear from someone who had exact camera as mine, thanks. I will not miss AA batteries at all although I got used into it. Actually, they are not so bad if it's eneloop. And the idea to change charger is good as well. Bigger viewfinder will be a plus as well. It seems that review button is more comfortable on the top as well.
08-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I upgraded from a K200 to a K5, toward the end of the K5's lifetime.
I upgraded from a Pentax SFXn to a K-5 just before the release of the K-5ii.
The only negatives were:
The new camera is much lighter than the old one so, to get that same feeling of shoulder fatigue I was so used to, I need to place a brick in the bottom of my camera bag.
I've had to go from 309,000 gazilion pixels to a miserly 16MP.
The new user manual is too think to prop up the one leg of the dining room table. The old one was just right at about twelve pages.

On the positive side:
I now get to see my photographs moments after I've taken them. How cool is that!?!!?! With the only place in town that could still do a decent job to develop and print my pictures long out of business, getting to see my photos before was a bit of an ordeal.
FPS much improved from 2.5 per second to 7 frames per second.
On, and I don't have to buy film!