Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Will this m42 adapter work well?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I erm... accidentally purchased a sears zoom lens with the m42 screw mount instead of the k-mount, I didn't realize it until after they had accepted the offer But it's cheap enough (15 dollars!) where I don't really want to take the effort to return this so I'll just get an m42 adapter to use it on my k-01 to take some deliciously bokehlicious shots

Just wondering if this adapter will suit my needs until I can afford the official pentax adapter:

Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Infinity focus

08-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #2

If you remove the spring clip it should be fine. Otherwise these 3rd party adapter have a nasty habit of jamming with the lens in place. There should be enough friction to keep the lens in place but some care should be taken when focusing or turning the aperture ring.
08-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have not tested my luck with third party adapters, and got Pentax original one. Happy. Easy to install, easy to remove just with my nail.
08-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I have not tested my luck with third party adapters, and got Pentax original one. Happy. Easy to install, easy to remove just with my nail.
I very unfortunately do not have the money for such an adapter at the moment, I mean it costs more than the lens itself

08-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The style of adapter Not A Number mentions works great. Unscrew the little screw-tab thingy, screw the adapter onto the lens and leave it there. Easier than mucking around with the genuine Pentax adapter if you intend to switch lenses often.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I erm... accidentally purchased a sears zoom lens with the m42 screw mount instead of the k-mount, I didn't realize it until after they had accepted the offer But it's cheap enough (15 dollars!) where I don't really want to take the effort to return this so I'll just get an m42 adapter to use it on my k-01 to take some deliciously bokehlicious shots

Just wondering if this adapter will suit my needs until I can afford the official pentax adapter:

Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Infinity focus
This adapter looks like the ones I bought last year for $11 each. They work just fine, if you remove the tab and leave the adapter on the lens.
08-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
don't waste your money. try to find a cheap used genuine one if you can. even with the clip removed, the third party ones tend to not fit quite right and be a pain in the ass to remove, or lenses end up mounted upside down, or you end up with little slivers of metal coming off them inside your camera.
08-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I very unfortunately do not have the money for such an adapter at the moment, I mean it costs more than the lens itself
Yep, the adapter cost me two of your $15 lens And an adapter for Canon cost just the price one of your lens. It's not fair, Pentax!
From another point, you may consider Pentax genuine adapter as an investment which you can sell and get all your money back.

08-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Easier than mucking around with the genuine Pentax adapter if you intend to switch lenses often.
?????

I have two genuine adapters and am not sure what is meant by mucking around. It is really quite easy. The adapter goes on the lens* and the lens mounts the same as a K-mount to the camera. To take it off, simply unscrew the lens and slip a finger nail into the release slot to remove the adapter. Since the genuine adapter is designed to fit loosely in the mount (the brand-x units often don't), removal is fast and requires no tools. When the lens is actually attached it snugs the lens flange to the body flange and and is very secure.

Steve

* I generally store one of my adapters on a commonly used lens along with a K-mount rear cap. That makes for easy and fast mounting.
08-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
?????

I have two genuine adapters and am not sure what is meant by mucking around. It is really quite easy. The adapter goes on the lens* and the lens mounts the same as a K-mount to the camera. To take it off, simply unscrew the lens and slip a finger nail into the release slot to remove the adapter. Since the genuine adapter is designed to fit loosely in the mount (the brand-x units often don't), removal is fast and requires no tools. When the lens is actually attached it snugs the lens flange to the body flange and and is very secure.

Steve

* I generally store one of my adapters on a commonly used lens along with a K-mount rear cap. That makes for easy and fast mounting.
This is what I do with all of my m42 lenses. The el-cheapo adapter resides on them in forseeable perpetuity. In this scenario, there has been no difference between the el-cheapo adapter and the genuine article (which I have).

Mucking was a bit of an overstatement on my part. What I really mean is that I don't bother with removing an adapters from my lenses.
08-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here are just a few brief notes regarding third-party adapters and M42 adapters in general:
  • Just because it has a name you recognize, it doesn't mean it is better. The item sold as Bower may be the same as one in a "Top Pro" box. There are many makers and the marketers deal with many suppliers. They truly are a generic product.
  • Quality is spotty regardless of brand (see point above) with one possible exception. When I first became active on this forum several users were confidently reporting the excellence of the Bower adapters. Several more of us took their advice and ended up buying adapters that became stuck on our cameras Same name, different quality.
  • The possible standout exception is the SRB Griturn adapter available in Britain. SRB has had their own manufacturing capability and the adapters have had a good reputation. Notice the waffle words. I have no personal experience with their product.
  • The risk of having an adapter get stuck is very real. If you buy a brand-x adapter the first thing you should do is remove the small metal retention clip. It will look fine, but remove it anyway. The clip itself is not the problem (explanation is very long), but removing it will prevent having to cut the adapter out with a Dremel tool. The adapted lens will be free to rotate in the K-mount, but often friction is adequate to keep it in place. Some users have had good luck notching the lens mount face to engage the locking pin on the camera in the manner of a standard K-mount.
  • Semi-permanent attachment of a cheap adapter to a lens using Loctite is a common practice for people who only use their M42 lenses on K-mount cameras
  • None of the adapters, genuine or brand-x, will reliably mount the lens with the focus index at 12:00 straight up on the body. This was true on the various M42 mount cameras back in the day and is true of the adapters as well.
  • Since I joined the Pentax Forums in 2007, I have never read a report of a user having an issue with the genuine adapter. I have read literally dozens of accounts of stuck or poorly-machined third-party adapters.
  • Finally, be aware that any adapter having a wide flange between the lens mount face and the body mount face will not allow infinity focus. These are fine for bellows or extension tubes, but not for general use. Any adapter should be designed to nest entirely within the K-mount opening and should allow the mount face on the lens to engage with the mount face on the body.
  • Some M42 lenses have a very narrow mount face and are not able to fully snug against the body flange. These tend to "rock" in the K-mount opening. Users on this site have employed a number of solutions including thin rubber gaskets or fabric sheathed pony-tail bands to shore up the lens in the mount opening. (This is hard to describe, but makes sense if you have such a lens.)
I think I covered the basics.

Steve

(...has a fair number of M42 lenses and uses most of them both adapted and/or on the cameras for which they were originally designed...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-23-2014 at 10:21 PM.
08-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Some M42 lenses have a very narrow mount face and are not able to fully snug against the body flange. These tend to "rock" in the K-mount opening. Users on this site have employed a number of solutions including thin rubber gaskets or fabric sheathed pony-tail bands to shore up the lens in the mount opening. (This is hard to describe, but makes sense if you have such a lens.)
Takumar lenses are narrow, and I thought that it might be some solution to cover contacts on body flange. Thanks!
08-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Takumar lenses are narrow, and I thought that it might be some solution to cover contacts on body flange. Thanks!
The same is true for many East German and former Soviet M42 lenses with those being somewhat worse.

Steve
08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I wrapped the flange around with Glad press'n seal. Looks ugly
08-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I must be lucky also. I have 5 3rd party off brands and got no problems have a couple good ones also. The tap is off on all of mine they stay on the lenses a good friction fit never come loose or jamb on the camera. P.S Great Site
08-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
The tap is off on all of mine they stay on the lenses a good friction fit never come loose or jamb on the camera. P.S Great Site
How easy is it if you swap lenses between two different cameras? I use M42 with two different adapters, and with the original Pentax adapter it take seconds to remove lenses.