Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D 18-55WR combo underexposing

I'm out of town so I can't make further testing for now. BUT, as I was heading out, the mailman delivered my 18-55WR from the marketplace. I slapped it on my trusty K20D and headed out. I have experience with AL-I and AL-II versions of this lens so I have a good idea as to what to expect.
I use primes for serious work but I want a WR combo to carry around with my Boy Scouts troop and family adventures.
Few snaps here and there, nothing major. I took a series of test shots of a door at different focal lengths and different apertures to check focus accuracy, sharpness, aberrations etc. Everything checks ok. But I noticed the pics were a bit underexposed. I confirmed by checking histograms. So I took a few more shots of my kids with exposure comp and it seems to hit sweet spot at +.7
My question is, until I can check the lens with my other bodies (and other lenses in this body), any idea on this?
I mean, if it is consistent I'll just set +.7 with it and forget about it. No big deal.
Just wondering if it could be the lens, the body or just this particular combo.
Any comments on this?

Thanks,

08-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K20D has tended to need between +0.7 to +1.0 for most lenses. I'm finding it's close to 0.0 with a Sigma 10-20mm lens. So long as it's consistent I wouldn't worry about it.

Prior to owning the K20D, my *istDS needed the same compensation amount.

P.S. Make sure you haven't accidentally thumbed the metering dial from centre weight to spot, or vica versa. That's happened to me a few times.

Last edited by jawsy; 08-24-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Added metering dial comment.