Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

So I'm going to get a DA (AL) prime lens

So I decided that I want to get a modern auto focus prime lens because on the k-01, while manual is very fun, it's a bit of a pain in the ass outside in the bright sun of Florida. That on top of the fact that my manual focusing is quite slow as it is I want to have a prime that I can just take and forget.

I'm pretty sure you can guess the focal lengths I'm tossing up about already, the 35mm and the 50mm. Both reasonably priced, both great lenses, but the problem is I just don't know which one would be the best all purpose lens for me since I won't have the money or reason to really splurge on lenses for a while (though I like dreaming ).

Thanks in advance

08-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
So I decided that I want to get a modern auto focus prime lens because on the k-01, while manual is very fun, it's a bit of a pain in the ass outside in the bright sun of Florida. That on top of the fact that my manual focusing is quite slow as it is I want to have a prime that I can just take and forget.

I'm pretty sure you can guess the focal lengths I'm tossing up about already, the 35mm and the 50mm. Both reasonably priced, both great lenses, but the problem is I just don't know which one would be the best all purpose lens for me since I won't have the money or reason to really splurge on lenses for a while (though I like dreaming ).

Thanks in advance
For APS-C 35mm is more of an everyday focal length, while 50mm is a short tele that's suitable for portraits and other isolated subjects.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For APS-C 35mm is more of an everyday focal length, while 50mm is a short tele that's suitable for portraits and other isolated subjects.
Thanks guess I'll be looking to see if I can nab a good priced 35 either here or on KEH. Especially since I have a couple manual teles (70-210 and 200 prime)
08-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
think DA 35 is indeed your best wallet-friendly option.

Just gonna throw this at you: sigma art 30 1.4.
well, depends on your budget, but this is a very nice prime lens...

08-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The 35 is much more usable FL on APSC. specially indoors!
For outdoors the 50 is just as usable as 35.
08-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Browse around on the auction sites - da 35mm 2.4's have been included in camera kits and have subsequently been trickling onto the second hand market in as new condition very cheap - I got mine for ~$120. And I am very pleased wth it.
08-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #7

Another vote for the DA 35. 50mm is great, but I think you'll find it a bit tight in many situations. I love my DA 35.
08-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would also agree that a 50mm lens is a bit tight. It acts like a short telephoto lens with film equivalent focal length of 75mm. That makes it a great start for portrait work. You get a flat field and a good working distance. A 35mm lens is indeed closer to a "normal" view with our crop sensors. It's also wide enough to begin taking shots of landscapes, sunsets, street scenes, etc. Both focal lengths are extremely useful. If you can eventually get both then I would say you should.

I have the DA 35mm and it is very sharp. Even when used wide open it produces excellent sharpness. For 50mm I went down the F/FA lens route vs DA because I also shoot film. Some people say that the F/FA lenses are slightly sharper then the DA 50mm at the same aperture setting but I have never seen any comparisons. Maybe it's something to look into?

Let me throw something else into the mix. Have you considered a DA 40mm pancake lens? It's an odd focal length but still very usable for daily life shots. That lens was specifically designed to be used with your K-01. It is also very sharp and produces great images wide open too.

BTW, if you are a FF fanatic then you may appreciate knowing that the DA 35mm, 40mm, and 50mm lenses work as FF lenses despite their naming.

08-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Let me throw something else into the mix. Have you considered a DA 40mm pancake lens? It's an odd focal length but still very usable for daily life shots. That lens was specifically designed to be used with your K-01. It is also very sharp and produces great images wide open too.
Honestly, if I could afford it I would, but this lens seems to go up into the 400s If I can find one for about 130-150 dollars I'd snatch it right up but I'm sure anyone would

QuoteQuote:

BTW, if you are a FF fanatic then you may appreciate knowing that the DA 35mm, 40mm, and 50mm lenses work as FF lenses despite their naming.
That's good to know!
08-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, the 40's are often available for much much less than $400. The DA40XSshould be ~150 and the 40 Limited for <250. I'd get the 40LTD.
08-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought my DA 40mm XS lens for $135 shipped from the PF Marketplace. $400? I think you may be confusing the 40mm with something else.
08-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I bought my DA 40mm XS lens for $135 shipped from the PF Marketplace. $400? I think you may be confusing the 40mm with something else.
Well color me stupid! Was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Compact-Samsung-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00077KMXG

Didn't realize it was called the XS!

I'll certainly consider it, but I'm not sure because of the issues with CA and purple fringing, especially with the high contrast shots I take quite often in Florida. But I suppose that isn't an issue when stopping down, especially with the bright sun.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-25-2014 at 05:15 PM.
08-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget the marketplace here, used is useful. The 40mm XS was designed for the K-01, and it's super tiny which is interesting.

The DA 35 f2.4 would probably be my first choice, though, just for its versatility and that it has a hood, which in Florida should be a prime consideration!
08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Don't forget the marketplace here, used is useful. The 40mm XS was designed for the K-01, and it's super tiny which is interesting.

The DA 35 f2.4 would probably be my first choice, though, just for its versatility and that it has a hood, which in Florida should be a prime consideration!
Yah I'm most certainly leaning towards the 35 but the 40mm's size is quite nice Unfortunately any lens hunting will have to wait for another 2 weeks because I got quite a bit less than I expected this pay period.
08-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote

35mm 2.4 comes with a hood?

Both the 35 and 50 are on an auction site listed in the ~$160 range. Shoot offers of ~$130 and you might be pleasantly surprised.